Charlie Hides is a drag performer from Boston, Massachusetts and one of the 14 queens to compete on the ninth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. She was the third queen to be eliminated and ended up finishing in 12th place. Born in 1964, she is the oldest queen to compete on the show.
Hides is also well known for his YouTube channel, which features hundreds of parody videos, and sketches where he impersonates celebrities. He has also done interviews with queens such as Bianca Del Rio and Courtney Act.
Rupaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 9|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||0|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (Ep. 4)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 4|
Episode One: "Oh. My. Gaga"- For the main challenge, the girls had to compete in a charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent pageant, serving up a hometown look and a Lady Gaga look. For the hometown look, Charlie did a pilgrim inspired outfit, representing Massachusetts. She received okay reviews because of her semi-failed tearaway. For the Gaga look, she chose Gaga's Brit Awards outfit. She received good reviews for the look, is was very well detailed.
Episode Two: "She Done Already Done Brought It On"- The girls were asked to split into teams and perform a Bring It On inspired cheer battle. Charlie received negative feedback for being unmemorable and not bringing his "boozy" character all the way. Despite the negativity, he received positive feedback regarding his runway look, in which the runway theme was entitled "White Party Realness". He was chosen for the bottom three, but was declared safe and did not have to lip-sync.Episode Three: "Draggily Ever After"- The girls were asked to make a Princess and a sidekick with it. Charlie went for a galaxy/space princess. Charlie's dress was gold with stars sticking out of her hair. She was chosen safe.Episode Four: "Good Morning Bitches!"- The girls were split into teams and had to do a morning show with Naya Riveria. Charlie was chosen by Trinity to be on her team. Charlie and Cynthia were doing a segment together. Cynthia said in the confessionals that Charlie is strict, serious and a control freak, trying to change Cynthia's personality as
well. Charlie kept on making mistakes and relying on the cards when Cynthia was taking over. Charlie was also critiqued for not letting Naya finish her answers and rushing onto another question. RuPaul chose Charlie and Trinity for the bottom 2 of the week. They lip-synced and due to Charlie's prior injury in the cheerleading challenge where he cracked a rib, he didn't move at all during the lip-sync and was asked to sashay away.
BiographyCharlie Hides was born in Boston, Massachusetts. He has nine siblings. He attended Massachusetts College of Art and Design, where he studied fashion and design. When he was 33, he moved to London in the United Kingdom, where he currently resides. He has an American passport because he was born in Boston; a British passport because he married his British partner in 2004; and an Irish passport due to his grandparents.In 2011, Hides started his YouTube channel "Charlie Hides TV". This was because YouTube started supporting HD video, so he decided to upload the videos that he used during his live performances. Since then, he has amassed over 100,000 subscribers and over 19,000,000 views. His videos were notable for his impersonations of celebrities such as Cher, Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Lana Del Rey. His videos often depicted events in pop culture and satirizing feuds and relationships between celebrities. In 2013, he appeared in a video with Australian singer Kylie Minogue. Charlie Hides has had minor appearances in TV and film. He had his own pilot show on a London TV channel in 2011, entitled The Charlie Hides Show. In 2015, he starred on the TV show Big Brother's Bit on the Side, where he impersonated celebrities whilst commenting on Celebrity Big Brother contestants. One of his appearances also featured a conflict with RuPaul's Drag Race judge Michelle Visage. He also had a cameo role in the film Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie, as a drag performer.
In 2015, Hides ended his use of character Laquisha Jonz in response to a 1,000 signature petition from Change.org that requested London's Royal Vauxhall Theater remove her from the lineup. The petition called Hides' portrayal both "blackface" and "a racist act based on misogynist stereotypes of Black working-class women."
Hides defended his performance as Jonz, stating "as a gender-fluid immigrant in this country, I was able to use Laquisha to express my feelings and experiences of being a fish out of the water...Laquisha's stand up comedy show is layered with subtext and nuance and positive messages."
In a YouTube Clip "Laquisha Jones meets Gray" Hides as Jonz is heard referring to doing cocaine in the studio and illegally downloading music while wearing a cheetah print catsuit and a gold novelty dollar sign necklace.
In February 2017, Logo announced that Charlie Hides was among 13 drag queens who would be competing on the ninth season of RuPaul's Drag Race.
"Hi, hi, hi! It's about to get shady up in here!"
- Charlie stated that it was so cold in the studio that her vocal cords got weak during filming.
- Charlie is the oldest queen to compete on Drag Race, aged 52 at the time of filming. She beats out the previous record-holder Tempest DuJour of season 7, who was 46 years old when her season was filmed.
- Charlie is therefore also the oldest queen on Season 9.
- Charlie is the first queen who holds the "oldest queen" record not to be the first eliminated from her season.
- Whilst in the final practice for the main challenge of Episode 2, Charlie's rib cracked, but she didn't tell the producers or a doctor as she didn't want to be sent home because of it.
- Due to this injury, Charlie didn't dance or move around in her elimination lip-sync.
- Charlie came out as gay not long before the AIDS crisis and has lost many close friends to HIV.
- In Episode 4 of Untucked, Charlie revealed she would have portrayed Joan Rivers for Snatch Game.
- Charlie's looks are often accompanied by a neon blue wig and a name tag.
- "We're gonna need stunt doubles."
- "Probably not the sport for people with an AARP membership."
- "Could you shut up a second?" - to Eureka in Untucked.
- "I'm not a lip-sync performer, 99% of the acts in London sing live. So I just need Ru to say it: Sashay away" - during Episode 4 lip-sync.
- "I am a control freak, I make no apologies for that. And I don't lip-sync, I sing live" - upon elimination.
- "I always said, if I get in the bottom two I might as well just turn around and walk out because I don't lip-sync."
- "Older queens, I'm laying down the gauntlet, send in your application tape and do better than I did, please."
- "How much would you pay me to make your outfit?"
- Charlie's Official Website
- Charlie's Facebook
- Charlie's Instagram
- Charlie's Twitter
- Charlie's YouTube Channel
- Charlie on Apple Music
- Charlie on Wikipedia
|2nd: Peppermint • 3rd/4th: Shea Couleé & Trinity Taylor|
|5th: Alexis Michelle • 6th: Nina Bo'nina Brown • 7th: Valentina (Miss Congeniality) • 8th: Farrah Moan • 9th: Aja • 10th: Cynthia Lee Fontaine • 11th: Eureka O'Hara • 12th: Charlie Hides • 13th: Kimora Blac • 14th: Jaymes Mansfield|
|RuPaul • Michelle Visage • Carson Kressley • Ross Mathews|
|Jason Carter • Miles Davis Moody • Bryce Eilenberg|