Gia Gunn is the stage name of Gia Ichikawa, a drag performer from Chicago, Illinois. She is best known for being a contestant on Season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race, where she placed 10th, and on All Stars 4 where she placed 8th. Additionally, Gia is the 6th contestant to come out as transgender.
Gia Ichikawa was born on May 10, 1990 into a Japanese-American family. She grew up in a small diverse town in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago in Carpentersville, Illinois, United States. At the age of five years old, Ichikawa had made her stage debut.
After completing her high school education, she enrolled in a cosmetology school, where Ichikawa had received her cosmetology license. Soon after moving to Chicago, United States, she had observed numerous drag shows. Possibly being influenced by the observation of the numerous drag shows, Ichikawa had decided to perform herself and became a headlining drag performer.
She auditioned for Logo TV's reality television series RuPaul's Drag Race whilst Ichikawa was working in the hair industry full-time and performed as Gia Gunn by evening.
She also appeared in Mega's second season of The Switch Drag Race, the Chilean version of RuPaul's Drag Race.
"Just got off the boat, you know, little trip from Asia. Just landed like fresh tilapia."
All Stars 4
"Step aside boys, 'cause the real queen is here."
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Statistics||Season 6||The Switch 2||All Stars 4|
|Main Challenges Won||0||5 (Wks. 1, 2, 4, 6, 9)||0|
|Mini Challenges Won||0||0||0|
|Times in Bottom||1 (Ep. 5)||1 (Wk. 10)||1 (Ep. 3)|
|Episode Eliminated||Episode 5||Week 15||Episode 3|
On the sixth season of the reality television series, Gunn was quoted in her words of expressing her hatred for "messy queens, cheap queens and manly queens". During an episode of Untucked, she criticized one of her rival competitors, Milk, when they portrayed a pregnant woman. After being called out as an "ignorant" by another one of her rival competitors, Joslyn Fox, Gunn had reacted very negatively and became involved in a confrontation against them. However, Milk had already criticized her for possessing an "elitist attitude" and nicknamed her "Kimora Lee" as well.
She was eliminated on the fifth episode, better known as "The Snatch Game", where she portrayed Kim Kardashian. Gunn had originally planned on portraying the late American singer and songwriter, Selena, however, the plan was met with skepticism from RuPaul. She landed the bottom two with Laganja Estranja and lip-synced against her to "Head to Toe" by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. After being eliminated, Gunn, with a wonky eyelash, had expressed her anger on the topic of her now-former rival competitors for getting away with "dressing up like a man" and that Gunn was at least glad to have her friend, Estranja, send her home.
Drag Name Origin
Gia came from the supermodel Gia Carangi and the movie Gia starring Angelina Jolie. Her last name originated from Project Runway's Tim Gunn.
- "Gia's a fishy girl, she's C.C.C.: Crazy, cuckoo, cunt!"
- "Just got off the boat, you know, little trip from Asia. Just landed like fresh tilapia."
- "How is she though?"
- "My name's Gia Gunn. I don't jump guns, I am the boom boom gun."
- "I don't like messy queens, I don't like cheap queens and I definitely don't like manly queens."
- "Gag me with a Delorean!"
- "Feelin' like pussy, feelin' like cunt!"
- "I'm feeling my oats, let me feel my ooooooooats!"
- "You guys are all still dudes."
- "You ladyboy? You ladyboy?"
- "What's a Tony?"
- "Bitch, are you fucking kidding me right now? You look like a fucking dumpster."
- "You should have been read for that hair, but you weren't, so..."
- "Well you girls... look good."
- "I didn't quite cough like a man."
- "YES. BITCH. WERK!"
- "Oh, you know, I'm still, like, having some morning-after stuff...you know, like throwing up and stuff after the pregnancy, but everything should be okay." (as Kim Kardashian during the Snatch Game.)
- "Honey, just because nobody's interested in your style because it looks like it came from the fucking Quinceañera store."
The Switch 2
- "Ni te conocen en tu país, argentina." (Eng: They do not even know you in your country, Argentina) (to Sofia Camará)"Tu tienes herpes." (Eng: You have herpes)
- "Drag es lo que hago, no lo que soy." (Eng: Drag is what I do, not what I am)
- "Ka kiraka kirika pauuu."
- "Laura Bell: No hay nada que hacer, Fernanda Brown: te ves muy dawn, Sofía Cámara: No sirve pa’ na, Luz Violeta: tu no eres coqueta, Kandy Ho’: nunca se operó, Marie Laveou: quien eres tú?! Miss Leona: por qué tan we... Nicole Gautier: si tu eres mujer!"
All Stars 4
- "That little beautiful bitch was lucky today." (about Farrah Moan)
- "Do your makeup and get ready, cause according to your team you're the weakest link." (to Farrah Moan)
- “Honey, I’m here for an opportunity just like you are.”
- "Oh sweetie, I'm very secure, are you secure?"
- "Well you're caucasian... you got a fucked up nose like her." (to Trinity The Tuck)
- "Well what you wanna do, isn't necessarily what you're gonna do." (to Trinity The Tuck)
- "WHAT PRIVILEGE!"
- "I don't think tucking is a talent." ( to Trinity The Tuck)
- "Girl, soak what up? Maybe some of that sweat on your forehead." (referring to Monét X Change)
- "I am not Jasmine Masters but I do have something to say." - On an Instagram Live
- Gia Gunn came out as transgender on Trans Visibility Day 2017.
- Gia's drag mother is Aly Gunn, a Chicago nightlife personality. She also considers Alyssa Edwards an adopted drag mother, and has performed with the Haus of Edwards.
- Gia is the first queen to be booted on Fashion Photo Ruview.
- On 20 April 2017, she announced via Twitter that she had legally changed her name to Gia.
- Gia Gunn won a beauty pageant known as Miss Roscoe's back in 2013.
- Gia lives with her drag sister and fellow Season 6 contestant Laganja Estranja. Together they form the drag duo, #TeamTooMuch.
- Gia is a frequent guest on Kimora Blac's show: Wait, What?.
- Gia is the third member of the House of Edwards member to compete on All Stars, after Alyssa Edwards and Shangela.
- Gia and Kandy Ho are the only queens in the Rupaul’s Drag Race franchise to appear in The Switch.
- In All Stars 4...
- Gia became the fourth queen to compete as a trans woman, after Monica Beverly Hillz, Peppermint and Sonique. She's also the second fully transitioned queen after Peppermint and Sonique in Holi-Slay, as Monica didn't start medically transitioning until after her season and Peppermint may or may not have been pre-op during her season.
- Gia is the first contestant to come back to an All Stars season as a trans woman, thus making her the first transgender All Star.
- Gia became the first queen to be eliminated twice in Snatch Game.
- Her elimination got leaked due to it being added to WowPresents+ by accident. It was removed hours later.
Season 6 Looks
All Stars 4 Looks
RuPaul's Drag Race
The Switch 2
- Gia's Facebook
- Gia's Instagram
- Gia's Twitter
- Gia's YouTube Channel
- Gia on Apple Music
- Gia on Wikipedia
- Gia on Spotify
4th: Darienne Lake • 5th: BenDeLaCreme (Ms. Congeniality) • 6th Joslyn Fox • 7th: Trinity K. Bonet • 8th: Laganja Estranja • 9th: Milk • 10th: Gia Gunn • 11th: April Carrión • 12th: Vivacious • 13th & 14th: Magnolia Crawford & Kelly Mantle
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales • Miles Davis Moody • Simon Sherry-Wood
|Monét X Change & Trinity The Tuck|
|3rd & 4th: Monique Heart & Naomi Smalls|
|5th: Latrice Royale • 6th: Manila Luzon • 7th: Valentina • 8th: Gia Gunn • 9th: Farrah Moan • 10th: Jasmine Masters|
|Jason Carter • Bruno Carvalho • Bryce Eilenberg|