Gia Gunn is the stage name of Gia Ichikawa, a drag performer from Carpentersville, Illinois. She is best known for being a contestant on Season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race, where she placed 10th, and on All Stars 4 where she placed 8th. Gia also competed on the second season of The Switch Drag Race, the chilean spin-off of RuPaul's Drag Race, where she placed as Runner-Up. Additionally, Gia is the 6th contestant to come out as transgender.
- 1 Early Life
- 2 Track Record(s)
- 3 Entrance Quotes
- 4 RuPaul's Drag Race
- 5 Drag Name Origin
- 6 Memorable Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Social Media
- 11 References
- 12 Navigation
Gia Ichikawa was born on May 10, 1990 into a Japanese-American family. She grew up in a small diverse town in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago in Carpentersville, Illinois, United States. At the age of five years old, Ichikawa had made her stage debut.
After completing her high school education, she enrolled in a cosmetology school, where Ichikawa had received her cosmetology license. Soon after moving to Chicago, United States, she had observed numerous drag shows. Possibly being influenced by the observation of the numerous drag shows, Ichikawa had decided to perform herself and became a headlining drag performer.
She auditioned for Logo TV's reality television series RuPaul's Drag Race whilst Ichikawa was working in the hair industry full-time and performed as Gia Gunn by evening.
She also appeared in Mega's second season of The Switch Drag Race, the Chilean version of RuPaul's Drag Race.
|Season Competed||Season 6||All Stars 4||The Switch 2|
|Ranking:||10th Place||8th Place||Runner-Up|
|Maxi Challenges Won:||0||0||4 (Week 1, 2, 4, 9) +1 (Ep. 30)|
|Mini Challenges Won:||0||0||3 (Ep. 11, 20, 23)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0||0||4|
|Times in Bottom:||1 (Ep. 5)||1 (Ep. 3)||1 (Week 6)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 5||Episode 3||Episode 31|
"Just got off the boat, you know, little trip from Asia. Just landed like fresh tilapia."
All Stars 4
"Step aside boys, 'cause the real queen is here."
RuPaul's Drag Race
On the sixth season of the reality television series, Gunn was quoted in her words of expressing her hatred for "messy queens, cheap queens, and manly queens". During an episode of Untucked, she criticized one of her rival competitors, Milk, when they portrayed a pregnant woman. After being called out as an "ignorant" by another one of her rival competitors, Joslyn Fox, Gunn had reacted very negatively and became involved in a confrontation against them. However, Milk had already criticized her for possessing an "elitist attitude" and nicknamed her "Kimora Lee" as well.
She was eliminated on the fifth episode, better known as "The Snatch Game", where she portrayed Kim Kardashian. Gunn had originally planned on portraying the late American singer and songwriter, Selena, however, the plan was met with skepticism from RuPaul. Her impression of Kardashian was poor, landing her in the bottom two with Laganja Estranja and lip-synced against her to "Head to Toe" by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. After being eliminated, Gunn, with a wonky eyelash, had expressed her anger on the topic of her now-former rival competitors for getting away with "dressing up like a man" and that Gunn was at least glad to have her friend, Estranja, send her home.
Drag Name Origin
Gia came from the supermodel Gia Carangi and the movie Gia starring Angelina Jolie. Her last name originated from Project Runway's Tim Gunn.
- "Gia's a fishy girl, she's C.C.C.: Crazy, cuckoo, cunt!"
- "Just got off the boat, you know, little trip from Asia. Just landed like fresh tilapia."
- "How is she though?"
- "My name's Gia Gunn. I don't jump guns, I am the boom boom gun."
- "I don't like messy queens, I don't like cheap queens and I don't like manly queens."
- "Gag me with a Delorean!"
- "Feelin' like pussy, feelin' like cunt!"
- "I'm feeling my oats, let me feel my ooooooooats!"
- "You guys are all still dudes."
- "You ladyboy? You ladyboy?"
- "What's a Tony?"
- "Bitch, are you fucking kidding me right now? You look like a fucking dumpster."
- "You should have been read for that hair, but you weren't, so..."
- "Well you girls... look good."
- "I didn't quite cough like a man."
- "This is the moment that counts." (to Laganja Estranja in Untucked)
- "YES. BITCH. WERK!"
- "Oh, you know, I'm still, like, having some morning-after stuff...you know, like throwing up and stuff after the pregnancy, but everything should be okay." (as Kim Kardashian during the Snatch Game.)
- "Honey, just because nobody's interested in your style because it looks like it came from the fucking Quinceañera store."
- "My God, there's... room for everybody, let's just say that!" (about Darienne Lake)
The Switch 2
- "Ni te conocen en tu país, Argentina." (to Sofía Camará)
- "Tu tienes herpes."
- "Mujer, sweety, mujer."
- "¡Dimelo otra vez, estúpida!"
- "Drag es lo que hago, no lo que soy."
- "Ka kiraka kirika pauuu."
- "Laura Bell: no hay nada que hacer; Fernanda Brown: te ves muy dawn; Sofía Camará: no sirve pa’ na; Luz Violeta: tu no eres coqueta; Kandy Ho: nunca se operó, Marie Laveau: quien eres tú?! Miss Leona: por qué tan we... Nicole Gaultier: ¡si tu eres mujer!"
- "Mi nominada es... ¡Gia Gunn!"
All Stars 4
- "That little beautiful bitch was lucky today." (about Farrah Moan)
- "Do your makeup and get ready, cause according to your team you're the weakest link." (to Farrah Moan)
- "Honey, I'm here for an opportunity just like you are."
- "Oh sweetie, I'm very secure, are you secure?"
- "Well you're Caucasian... you got a fucked up nose like her." (to Trinity The Tuck)
- "Well what you wanna do, isn't necessarily what you're gonna do." (to Trinity The Tuck)
- "What privilege!"
- "I don't think tucking is a talent." (to Trinity The Tuck)
- "Girl, soak what up? I mean, maybe some of that sweat on that forehead." (referring to Monét X Change)
- "This is a place for legends."
- “For those of you who don't know me, I put the T in the LGB. Don't worry about what you call me, 'cause I know who I be. I'm a woman who does drag but don't confuse me with those hags. Be the best you and I'll be the best that I can be. Yes, gawd!” (verse in Don't Funk It Up)
- "I am not Jasmine Masters but I do have something to say." (On an Instagram Live)
- "Farrah is a slut obrigado." (On Twitter)
- "At this point Trix, the dolls are the dolls"
- "Katya, do you believe in milk & cookies"
- "Does he worship the dolls?"
- Gia Gunn came out as transgender on Trans Visibility Day 2017.
- Gia's drag mother is Aly Gunn, a Chicago nightlife personality. She also considers Alyssa Edwards an adoptive drag mother, and has performed with the Haus of Edwards.
- Gia has a drag daughter named Jake Warden.
- Gia is the first queen to be booted on Fashion Photo Ruview.
- On 20 April 2017, she announced via Twitter that she had legally changed her name to Gia.
- Gia Gunn won a beauty pageant known as Miss Roscoe's back in 2013.
- Gia lives with her drag sister and fellow Season 6 contestant Laganja Estranja. Together they form the drag duo, #TeamTooMuch.
- Gia is a frequent guest on Kimora Blac's show: Wait, What?.
- Gia is the third member of the Haus of Edwards member to compete on All Stars, after Alyssa Edwards and Shangela.
- Gia and Kandy Ho are the only queens in the Rupaul’s Drag Race franchise to appear in The Switch.
- In All Stars 4...
- Gia became the fourth queen to compete as a transgender woman after Sonique, Monica Beverly Hillz & Peppermint.
- Gia is the first contestant to come back to an All Stars season as a trans woman, thus making her the first transgender All Star.
- Gia became the first queen to be eliminated twice in Snatch Game.
- Her All Stars 4 elimination got leaked due to it being added to WowPresents+ by accident. It was removed hours later.
- Before she officially did Drag, she actually performed "Kabuki" at the age of 7.
- Gia's impression of Jenny Bui in the All Stars 4 Snatch Game was met with heavy criticism from the real Jenny Bui herself, in particular over Gia's misrepresentation of Bui's Cambodian heritage as Japanese, along with her explicitly sexual humour.
- Gia caused controversy after claiming that the COVID-19 pandemic was a hoax. In July 2021, she confirmed on Twitter that she tested positive for the disease and received more backlash from the fans and the queens including: Mrs. Kasha Davis, Bianca Del Rio, Anastarzia Anaquway and Farrah Moan.
Season 6 Looks
All Stars 4 Looks
The Switch 2 Looks
RuPaul's Drag Race
The Switch 2
- Gia's Facebook
- Gia's Instagram
- Gia's Twitter
- Gia's YouTube Channel
- Gia on Apple Music
- Gia on Wikipedia
- Gia on Spotify
4th: Darienne Lake • 5th: BenDeLaCreme (Miss Congeniality) • 6th Joslyn Fox • 7th: Trinity K. Bonet • 8th: Laganja Estranja • 9th: Milk • 10th: Gia Gunn • 11th: April Carrión • 12th: Vivacious • 13th & 14th: Kelly Mantle & Magnolia Crawford
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales • Miles Davis Moody • Simon Sherry-Wood
|2nd, 3rd & 4th: Gia Gunn, Pavel Arámbula & Sofía Camará|
|5th: Fernanda Brown • 6th: Diva Houston • 7th: Rochelle Mon Chéri • 8th: Kandy Ho • 9th: Luz Violeta (Quit) • 10th: Arianda Sodi • 11th: Laura Bell • 12th: Marie Laveau • 13th: Luna di Mauri • 14th: Francisca Del Solar • 15th: Pakita|
|Nicole Gaultier • Íngrid Cruz • Óscar Mediavilla|
|Patricia Maldonado • Nicanor Bravo • Álvaro Véliz • Darwin Ruz|
|Monét X Change & Trinity The Tuck|
|3rd & 4th: Monique Heart & Naomi Smalls|
|5th: Latrice Royale • 6th: Manila Luzon • 7th: Valentina • 8th: Gia Gunn • 9th: Farrah Moan • 10th: Jasmine Masters|
|Jason Carter • Bruno Carvalho • Bryce Eilenberg|