Honey was eliminated along with Vivienne Pinay in Episode 4, in the first-ever double elimination in the show's history. Honey was also the first queen to compete on the show from San Francisco.
Honey Mahogany was born in and resides in San Francisco, California. She comes from a "Roman Catholic Ethiopian family". Alpha Mulugeta first started performing in drag while earning her undergraduate degree at the University of Southern California, then stopped until she was in grad school at UC Berkeley where she co-founded the annual drag competition: Berkeley's Next Top Drag Performer in 2008. While at Cal, she mostly performed at lesbian clubs in Oakland, stating that at the time she had many more lesbian friends than gay friends.
After graduating in 2009, Mulugeta moved to San Francisco and became a full-time social worker by day and drag queen by night. Working as a program director at the Rainbow Community Center of Contra Costa County, Mulugeta became used to "keeping a strong line dividing my job as a drag queen and my job as a social worker." Honey also worked on her burgeoning music career, writing and singing her own soul-inflected, old-school-inspired songs. She would often sing live during her sets, rather than lip-sync.
In 2012, she decided to submit a video trying out for RuPaul's Drag Race, and was accepted. Filming started almost immediately after she found out she'd be on the show, but while she was mentally prepared to perform for cameras, she "wasn't so prepared for the other aspects of reality television."
Drag Name Origin
She got her drag name from the first two shades of the Revlon foundation that matched her skin tone, which were honey and mahogany.
|Maxi Challenges Won:||0|
|Mini Challenges Won:||0|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Times in Bottom:||1 (Ep. 4)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 4|
|This article needs citations
This article is in need of citations to make sure all information stated is correct.
- Honey is the first contestant to hail from San Francisco.
- Honey and Vivienne Pinay are the first queens to be eliminated in a double sashay.
- After Honey was eliminated, she stated that she wanted Jinkx Monsoon to win.
- Honey auditioned for the second season of the US version of The X Factor. She was eliminated in the audition round.
- Honey inspired the runway theme for Season 11, Episode 10, Caftan Realness.
- In 2010, Honey released a cover of Adele's "Hometown Glory".
- In 2011, Honey was voted "Best Drag Queen" by readers of the newspaper San Francisco Weekly.
- Honey is transgender and goes by She/They pronouns.
- In 2020, Honey was elected to a seat on the Democratic County Central Committee. Honey became the first black transgender person to win an elected post in California, as well as the first drag queen to win an elected post in San Francisco.
- Honey is the first RuGirl to become an elected official.
- On May 28, 2021, Honey was officially elected as Chair of the Democratic Party in San Francisco, California.
- Because of her drag mother is Alotta Boutté, her drag sister is Drag Race France Season 1 contestant Soa De Muse.
Season 5 Looks
|Runners-Up||2nd & 3rd: Alaska & Roxxxy Andrews|
|Other Queens||4th: Detox • 5th: Coco Montrese • 6th: Alyssa Edwards • 7th: Ivy Winters (Miss Congeniality) • 8th: Jade Jolie • 9th: Lineysha Sparx • 10th & 11th: Honey Mahogany & Vivienne Pinay • 12th: Monica Beverly Hillz • 13th: Serena ChaCha • 14th: Penny Tration|
|Judges||RuPaul • Santino Rice • Michelle Visage|
|Pit Crew||Jason Carter • Shawn Morales|