She didn’t have a name for her first show, so the name Jennifer was offered due to her love for Jennifer Lopez. She thought it was too common and decided to shorten to Jay. The show director mispronounced it as Jade, which she liked better. Later, Facebook required her a last name, so she used her real last name, thus Jade Sotomayor.
Jade is very passionate about entertaining and has always enjoyed pleasing an audience. Besides, she is also very open and passionate about her drag career, calling it a true art form. Her family has been very supportive of her and accepted her doing drag as long as it made her happy.
In her introduction video for "Drag Race", she described herself as "talented, professional and passionate".
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 1|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 4)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Times Placed High||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||0|
|Times Placed Low||1 (Ep. 3)|
|Times in Bottom:||1 (Ep. 4)|
|Episode Eliminated||Episode 4|
Jade was eliminated on the fourth episode of "Drag Race", where the queens had to create a commercial promoting MAC Cosmetics, as it is a makeup company that helps benefit HIV/AIDS. The girls used the commercial to explain who they are as drag queens, why they are beautiful, and to inform the audience of Viva Glam's help for those living with HIV/AIDS. Each queen was given 10 minutes to shoot their commercial, with an exception of Jade, who earned extra 5 minutes for winning the mini challenge.
The causes of her elimination first reflected the main challenge. Jade was told that she lacked progress and star potential. She fell into the bottom two alongside Rebecca Glasscock. Rebecca outshined Jade, and Jade was sent home.
- "Jade is definitely my alter-ego, basically she has more balls than I do!"
- "Not only am I going to present myself as Jade, but I'm also going to showcase my talents as a dancer and as a performer."
- "I could've easily gone home to any of the other girls, except for Rebecca."
- "I strive to continue going towards my goals because I know I am closer and closer every day."
- "Rebecca is the fakest bitch I have ever met in my life. "
- "She lacks talent, she lacks professionalism, because she is fake." (Referring to Rebecca Glasscock)
- David studied Dance Performance at Columbia College in Chicago.
- David is fluent in both English and Spanish.
- David's cousin, Eddie Sotomayor, was killed in the Orlando nightclub shooting.
- Jade's expertise alongside Drag is dancing.
- Jade is a bartender at Spin Nightclub in Chicago.
- Jade labels herself the "#originalfish", as she was the first "fishy queen" to appear on the show.
- One of Jade's most memorable performances was her imitating Britney Spears in her MTV VMAs "I'm a Slave 4 U" performance. Jade came dressed out in a replicated Britney costume and carried an Albino Python. Her dancers starred in her performance dressed in animal costumes from head to toe.
- One of Jade's idols is Jennifer Lopez. She views J'Lo as an amazing performer, a multi-talented woman and an amazing businesswoman.
- As of January 2018, David has performed 15 years as Jade.
- Jade is the first...
- ...queen to have her drag name simplified on the show.
- ...Latino queen to be eliminated from the show.
- ...queen to place 6th.
- ...queen to perform a split on the show, during her only lipsync.
- At the reunion, it was revealed that the reason Jade was eliminated over Rebecca because Jade physically touched Rebecca as a hindrance, which was against the rules.
- She lip-synced alongside Monique Heart during the Season 10 finale.
Season 1 Looks
|2009||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 1||Herself|
|2013||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 5||Herself||Episode: "Reunited!" (Audience)|
|2013||Deadly Affairs||Charles "Eva" Martinez||Episode: "Skeletons in the Closet"|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 10||Herself||Episode: "Grand Finale"|
|2016||Lipstick City||Red dancer||Short by Shea Couleé|
|2019||That Wasn't Supposed to Happen||Marlene|
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire