"Jaida" was the name a friend gave her the first time she did drag. "Essence" comes from when her boyfriend said she was "the essence of beauty". "Hall" comes from her drag mother, Tajma Hall.
Jaida Essence Hall is the drag sister of Season 11 contestant Mercedes Iman Diamond, Season 4 contestant Dida Ritz, and Kahmora Hall (drag mother of Season 11 contestant Soju) as the they share a drag mother.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 12|
|Ranking:|| 1st Place|
|Times as Team Captain:||1 (Ep. 3)|
|Times Placed High||3 (Eps. 4, 8, 12)|
|Main Challenges Won:||3 (Eps. 2, 9, 10)|
|Times in Bottom:||1 (Ep. 11)|
|Times Placed Low||0|
- "Hey, bitches! She's here!" (entrance quote)
- "For me, drag is exuding, like, feminine energy."
- "My turn. ♪ EHHHhhh... ♪" (her attempt at singing)
- "♪ Yup!, It's Jaida, the essence of beauty. The gowns, the face, and tons of booty. But don't you be fooled by the perfect facade, she always rises despite the odds. She's funny, she's witty, she's got talent beyond recognition. And that's how mother dear will slay the competition! ♪" (verse in "You Don't Know Me")
- "This is not RuPaul's 'Excuse' Race!"
- "Yeah she's a little salty that her friend left, but I’m thinking, she's a little more upset that she had not won this challenge." (Referring to Jan).
- "If a robot and a Barbie and a cheerleader had an orgy and they had a robot cheerleader Barbie baby, bitch, that would be Jan."
- "Heidi, question?"
- "LOOK OVER THERE!" (avoiding Jeff Goldblum's question in the political debate challenge).
- "HE'S A DINOSAUR DOCTOR!"
- "I would like to retattle the retittle of her rebuttal." (In response to Sherry Pie retittling Gigi Goode's rebuttal in the debate challenge).
- "Crystal and Grace are over here talking about healing powers. I don't know what this has to do with the runway challenge — chile." (Referring to Crystal's and Opal's 'wonder woman' pose)
- "Oh my god, don't fall, don’t die." (After seeing her partner struggle to walk in heels in the Makeover Challenge).
- "You're talking a cute game, Jackie — but it doesn't matter what she thinks. It only matters what the judges think. Mic drop. Boom. Cat. Cow."
- "That's a low blow. I've only worn those earrings twice. Shady." (Referring to Crystal Methyd's Everybody Loves Puppets read)
- "I don't know, maybe it's a sign something good is gonna happen, maybe it's a sign I'm going home."
- "Ooh, y'all are not feeling me."
- "They would not allow me." (when asked if she's ever recorded professionally)
- "My rap style is Old Mother Hubbard."
- "You said it! I didn't!" (to Jamal Sims)
- "I've been really trying to learn how to walk, since I was a baby!"
- "♪ Boss bitches rise up! No better time than now! Sometimes we beat ourselves up, always lettin' ourselves down. Remember that you're beautiful, let go of all that shame. Now matter how your story ends, go make them know your name. ♪" (verse in "Losing is the New Winning").
- "Uhm, orange you glad that you chose the orange?" (to Rock M. Sakura during the reunion)
- "Well, technically only 12." (referring to Sherry Pie's disqualification during the reunion)
- "I would like to say that if you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna--LOOK OVER THERE!" (after her victory)
- "I don't f*ck with straws." (On an Instagram live stream with Nicky Doll)
- "Turtles are like drag queens."
- "We need this, this is essential, this is a crisis."
- "So if y'all looking for a great cheap wine to keep y'all occupied through this depressing ass time of our lives, get a Gallo Family wine, it don't gotta be Sweet Watermelon, they got a whole bunch of motherfuckin' flavors."
- "Y'all, I had bought a bottle of alcohol..."
- Jaida is the...
- third queen of African-American descent to win a Drag Race season in a row, after Monét X Change and Yvie Oddly. This makes Jaida the sixth queen of African-American descent to win Drag Race overall.
- fourth-ever contestant from Wisconsin, following Season 7 contestant Max, All Stars 3 winner Trixie Mattel, and Season 9 contestant Jaymes Mansfield.
- She is also the second contestant from Milwaukee to win a season (following Trixie Mattel), and the first to win a regular season.
- She is also the third contestant from Milwaukee, after Trixie Mattel and Jaymes Mansfield respectively.
- second-ever contestant to receive a cash tip for her lip-sync performance and main challenge win in a non-All Stars season, following Widow Von'Du.
- only Season 12 contestant to have a three-part name, not including initials as a name.
- second African-American queen (the first being Naomi Smalls) to win the Makeover Challenge on a regular season.
- third regular season winner (and second in a row) to have won fewer main challenges than another competitor in her season, after Sasha Velour in Season 9 and Yvie Oddly in Season 11.
- third regular season winner to have won the political challenge, following Sharon Needles and Bob The Drag Queen.
- Coincidentally, there have been only three political challenges to date (all on US presidential election years). Every winner of the political challenge has therefore gone on to win their respective season.
- second main series winner after Violet Chachki in Season 7 to win 2 consecutive challenges.
- She is the first, however, to do so without sharing one of her wins.
- fifth regular season winner to not win Snatch Game, the ball challenge, or Rusical after Raja, Bianca Del Rio, Sasha Velour, and Yvie Oddly.
- second winner on a regular season to win the makeover challenge, following Bianca Del Rio in Season 6.
- second pageant queen to win a regular season of Drag Race and the fourth overall, following Tyra Sanchez in Season 2, Chad Michaels in All Stars 1, and Trinity The Tuck in All Stars 4.
- lip-sync assassin of Season 12, defeating Sherry Pie in their Top 2 lip-sync, sending Heidi N Closet home, and defeating Crystal Methyd and Gigi Goode in the final lip-sync for the crown.
- first regular season winner (at 33) to be crowned over the age of 30 since Bianca Del Rio, and the third overall after Raja and Bianca Del Rio.
- fourth regular season winner to not win a mini-challenge after Bebe Zahara Benet, Sharon Needles, and Yvie Oddly.
- Jaida is one of the...
- three contestants that did not place "low" or was in the bottom two by the tenth week of competing in the drag race franchise (the other two are Jinkx Monsoon and Bianca Del Rio.)
- only queens to have worked alongside RuPaul outside of the show as Jaida did Silky Nutmeg Ganache's makeup for the Season 11 finale and Nicky Doll did Pete Davidson's makeup for an SNL skit that featured RuPaul.
- Prior to auditioning for Season 12, she had also auditioned for Season 7.
- She revealed in an interview that her boyfriend makes most of her jewelry.
- She had designed and created every single outfit she wore in the competition, excluding her tulle dress.
- She shared on her Instagram that she made her promo dress the day before she went to shoot the promo.
- Her favorite song to perform to is "Die Young" by Ke$ha.
- Similarly to Detox and A'keria Chanel Davenport, she eliminated a queen on their fourth lip-sync (Heidi N Closet in Jaida's case) before the finale.
- According to Nicky Doll, Jaida had one week less to prepare for Season 12 than the other queens.
- The president of Anastasia Beverly Hills (RuPaul's Drag Race's biggest sponsor), had publicly expressed their support for Jaida during the finals.
- Jaida was supposed to guest in a Roscoe's watch party for the Reunion episode of Season 12 but had to back down last-minute due to a "scheduling conflict." It is speculated that this scheduling conflict had something to do with the Season 12 grand finale.
- Jaida was featured in a Cosmo Queens video, along with other Season 12 queens Dahlia Sin, Nicky Doll, Brita, Jan, and Sherry Pie.
Season 12 Looks
- (2020) "You Don't Know Me" by The Cast of RuPaul's Drag Race, Season 12.
- (2020) "I Made It/ Mirror Song/ Losing is the New Winning (Las Vegas Live Medley)" by RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12 Cast
- RuPaul's Drag Race, in Season 12 as contestant. (2020)
- Untucked, in Season 12 as contestant. (2020)
- Cosmo Queens, as guest. (2020)
|Jaida Essence Hall|
|2nd & 3rd: Crystal Methyd & Gigi Goode|
|4th: Sherry Pie (Disqualified) • 5th: Jackie Cox • 6th: Heidi N Closet (Miss Congeniality) • 7th: Widow Von'Du • 8th: Jan • 9th: Brita • 10th: Aiden Zhane • 11th: Nicky Doll • 12th: Rock M. Sakura • 13th: Dahlia Sin|
|Jason Carter • Bruno Carvalho • Bryce Eilenberg|