"Jaida" was the name a friend gave her the first time she did drag. "Essence" comes from when her boyfriend said she was "the essence of beauty." "Hall" comes from her drag mother, Tajma Hall.
Jaida Essence Hall is the drag sister of Season 11 contestant Mercedes Iman Diamond, as they share a drag mother, Prada Diamond. She is also sisters with Season 4 contestant Dida Ritz, Season 8 contestant Naysha Lopez, and Kahmora Hall (drag mother of Season 11 contestant Soju) as the they share a drag mother, Tajma Hall.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 12|
|Ranking:|| 1st Place|
|Maxi Challenges Won:||3 (Eps. 2, 9, 10)|
|Times as Team Captain:||1 (Ep. 3)|
|Times in Bottom:||1 (Ep. 11)|
- "Hey, bitches! She's here!" (entrance quote)
- "For me, drag is exuding, like, feminine energy."
- "My turn. ♪ EHHHhhh... ♪" (her attempt at singing)
- "♪ Yup!, It's Jaida, the essence of beauty. The gowns, the face, and tons of booty. But don't you be fooled by the perfect facade, she always rises despite the odds. She's funny, she's witty, she's got talent beyond recognition. And that's how mother dear will slay the competition! ♪" (verse in "You Don't Know Me")
- "Shady. Boots. Shady boots."
- "Chile, I'm not finna be this damn orange."
- "Nobody likes broccoli!"
- "This is not RuPaul's Excuse Race!"
- "Antarctica's at the bottom, isn't it?"
- "Yeah she's a little salty that her friend left, but I’m thinking, she's a little more upset that she had not won this challenge." (Referring to Jan).
- "Or the no win!" (to Jackie Cox)
- "The horrible actress from Gay's Anatomy!" (introducing herself in her Droop ad)
- "If a robot and a Barbie and a cheerleader had an orgy and they had a robot cheerleader Barbie baby, bitch, that would be Jan."
- "That's a question."
- "Heidi, question?"
- "LOOK OVER THERE!" (avoiding Jeff Goldblum's question in the political debate challenge).
- "HE'S A DINOSAUR DOCTOR!"
- "I would like to retattle the retittle of her rebuttal." (In response to Sherry Pie retittling Gigi Goode's rebuttal in the debate challenge).
- "Crystal and Grace are over here talking about healing powers. I don't know what this has to do with the runway challenge — chile." (Referring to Crystal's and Opal's 'wonder woman' pose)
- "Oh my god, don't fall, don’t die." (After seeing her partner struggle to walk in heels in the Makeover Challenge).
- "You're talking a cute game, Jackie — but it doesn't matter what she thinks. It only matters what the judges think. Mic drop. Boom. Cat. Cow."
- "That's a low blow. I've only worn those earrings twice. Shady." (Referring to Crystal Methyd's Everybody Loves Puppets read)
- "I don't know, maybe it's a sign something good is gonna happen, maybe it's a sign I'm going home."
- "What I did?"
- "Ooh, y'all are not feeling me."
- "The hardest part of writing the lyrics is writing the damn lyrics."
- "They would not allow me." (when asked if she's ever recorded professionally)
- "My rap style is Old Mother Hubbard."
- "You said it! I didn't!" (to Jamal Sims)
- "I've been really trying to learn how to walk, since I was a baby!"
- "♪ Boss bitches rise up! No better time than now! Sometimes we beat ourselves up, always lettin' ourselves down. Remember that you're beautiful, let go of all that shame. Now matter how your story ends, go make them know your name. ♪" (verse in "Losing is the New Winning").
- "Uhm, orange you glad that you chose the orange?" (to Rock M. Sakura during the reunion)
- "Well, technically only 12." (referring to Sherry Pie's disqualification during the reunion)
- "I would like to say that if you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna--LOOK OVER THERE!" (after her victory)
- "I don't f*ck with straws." (On an Instagram live stream with Nicky Doll)
- "Turtles are like drag queens."
- "We need this, this is essential, this is a crisis."
- "So if y'all looking for a great cheap wine to keep y'all occupied through this depressing ass time of our lives, get a Gallo Family wine, it don't gotta be Sweet Watermelon, they got a whole bunch of motherfuckin' flavors."
- "Y'all, I had bought a bottle of alcohol..."
- Jaida is...
- ... the third queen of African-American descent to win a Drag Race season in a row, after Monét X Change and Yvie Oddly. This makes Jaida the sixth queen of African-American descent to win Drag Race overall. She was followed by Shea Couleé in All Stars 5, leaving Jaida third as a part of four queens of African-American descent in a row to win Drag Race.
- ... the fifth winner of a regular season to win the Maxi Challenge in her first episode competing, after Raja, Sharon Needles, Bianca Del Rio and Violet Chachki.
- Much like Bianca, Jaida won her first challenge on the second premiere episode of her season. They also both won the Maxi Challenge in Episode 10 of their respective seasons.
- ... the fourth-ever contestant from Wisconsin, following Season 7 contestant Max, All Stars 3 winner Trixie Mattel, and Season 9 contestant Jaymes Mansfield.
- She is also the second contestant from Milwaukee to win a season (following Trixie Mattel), and the first to win a regular season.
- She is also the third contestant from Milwaukee, after Trixie Mattel and Jaymes Mansfield respectively.
- ... the second-ever contestant to receive a cash tip for her lip-sync performance and main challenge win in a non-All Stars season, following Widow Von'Du.
- ... the only Season 12 contestant to have a three-part name, not including initials as a name.
- ... the second African-American queen (the first being Naomi Smalls) to win the Makeover Challenge on a regular season.
- ... the third regular season winner (and second in a row) to have won fewer main challenges than another competitor in her season, after Sasha Velour in Season 9 and Yvie Oddly in Season 11.
- ... the third regular season winner to have won the political challenge, following Sharon Needles and Bob The Drag Queen.
- Coincidentally, there have been only three political challenges to date (all on US presidential election years). Every winner of the political challenge has therefore gone on to win their respective season.
- ... the second main series winner after Violet Chachki in Season 7 to win 2 consecutive challenges.
- She is the first, however, to do so without sharing one of her wins.
- ... the fifth regular season winner to not win Snatch Game, the ball challenge, or Rusical after Raja, Bianca Del Rio, Sasha Velour, and Yvie Oddly.
- ... the second winner on a regular season to win the makeover challenge, following Bianca Del Rio in Season 6.
- ... the second pageant queen to win a regular season of Drag Race and the fourth overall, following Tyra Sanchez in Season 2, Chad Michaels in All Stars 1, and Trinity The Tuck in All Stars 4.
- ... the lip-sync assassin of Season 12, defeating Sherry Pie in their Top 2 lip-sync, sending Heidi N Closet home, and defeating Crystal Methyd and Gigi Goode in the final lip-sync for the crown.
- ... the first regular season winner to be crowned over the age of 30 (at 33) since Bianca Del Rio, and the third overall after Raja and Bianca.
- ... the fourth regular season winner to not win a mini-challenge after Bebe Zahara Benet, Sharon Needles, and Yvie Oddly.
- ... one of the three contestants that did not place "low" or was in the bottom two by the tenth week of competing in the drag race franchise (the other two are Jinkx Monsoon and Bianca Del Rio.)
- ... one of the only queens to have worked alongside RuPaul outside of the show, as Jaida did Silky Nutmeg Ganache's makeup for the Season 11 finale.
- Prior to auditioning for Season 12, she had also auditioned for Season 7.
- She revealed in an interview that her boyfriend makes most of her jewelry.
- She had designed and created every single outfit she wore in the competition, excluding her tulle dress.
- She shared on her Instagram that she made her promo dress the day before she went to shoot the promo.
- Her favorite song to perform to is "Die Young" by Ke$ha.
- Similarly to Detox and A'keria Chanel Davenport, she eliminated a queen on their fourth lip-sync (Heidi N Closet in Jaida's case) before the finale.
- It has been said by her fellow castmates that Jaida had one week less to prepare for Season 12 than them.
- This is supported by the fact that Jaida, seconds after winning, said "I can't believe, like... I was almost not even supposed to be there", as shown in the Live Reaction to Season 12 Winner video on the RuPaul's Drag Race YouTube channel.
- The president of Anastasia Beverly Hills (RuPaul's Drag Race's biggest sponsor), had publicly expressed their support for Jaida during the finals.
- Jaida was supposed to guest in a Roscoe's watch party for the Reunion episode of Season 12 but had to back down last-minute due to a "scheduling conflict." It is speculated that this scheduling conflict had something to do with the Season 12 grand finale.
- Jaida was featured in a Cosmo Queens video, along with other Season 12 queens Dahlia Sin, Nicky Doll, Brita, Jan, and Sherry Pie.
Season 12 Looks
- (2020) "You Don't Know Me" by The Cast of RuPaul's Drag Race, Season 12.
- (2020) "I Made It/ Mirror Song/ Losing is the New Winning (Las Vegas Live Medley)" by RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12 Cast
- RuPaul's Drag Race, in Season 12 as contestant. (2020)
- Untucked, in Season 12 as contestant. (2020)
- Cosmo Queens, as guest. (2020)
|Jaida Essence Hall|
|2nd & 3rd: Crystal Methyd & Gigi Goode|
|4th: Sherry Pie (Disqualified) • 5th: Jackie Cox • 6th: Heidi N Closet (Miss Congeniality) • 7th: Widow Von'Du • 8th: Jan • 9th: Brita • 10th: Aiden Zhane • 11th: Nicky Doll • 12th: Rock M. Sakura • 13th: Dahlia Sin|
|Jason Carter • Bruno Carvalho • Bryce Eilenberg|