Biography & Career
Born in the late 80s, the oldest of four children, Jinkx attended DaVinci Arts for middle school (comming out as gay there) and graduated from Grant High School. On 2002, with 15 years old, she performed in drag for the first time at the underaground nightclub "Escape" and on 2006, moved to Seattle, Washington.
Monsoon worked and paid her way through college, graduating Summa Cum Laude with a BFA in Theater from Cornish College of the Arts in 2010.
Jinkx appeared as the lead dancer in the world's largest drag queen chorus line, which made the "Guinness Book of World Records". By 2012, she had advanced to roles in Seattle theaters, playing Moritz in "Spring Awakening", Angel in "RENT" and starring in "Hedwig and The Angry Inch". In 2013, she starred in "Hairspray The Musical" as Velma Von Tussle.
A trained singer, Monsoon is half of the musical duo "The Vaudevillians" (with Richard Andriessen a.k.a. Major Scales), a 1920s revival act. After she won Season 5, they were booked for the Laurie Beechman Theater on Broadway, New York City.
Jinkx also started her own musical career and appeared on the popular western cartoon "Steven Universe" as a voice actor for the character Emerald.
Drag Name Origin
Jinkx's drag name was her nickname at an outreach center for gay youth in Portland and comes from "jinx", a verb that means "to subject to bad luck". She says if there's a one in a million chance that something will go wrong it's most likely going to happen to her. Monsoon came from the character Edina Monsoon from "Absolutely Fabulous".
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 5|
|Mini-Challenges Won||1 (ep. 4)|
|Times as Team Captain||1 (ep. 4)|
|Main Challenges Won||2 (ep. 5, 9)|
|Times in Bottom Two||1 (ep. 11)|
Monsoon holds the record for most consecutive weeks being in the top, at 9 weeks. On May 10, 2013, Monsoon was named the 5th crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar".
"You know, I can hear the cackling from down the street."
- "Water off a ducks back."
- "Delusion, convince yourself!"
- "I am Seattle's premier, Jewish, narcoleptic, drag queen!"
- "I'm not gonna make an excuse for it, I wear my narcolepsy as a badge of pride. It's something I've had to... *falls asleep*"
- "Honey dances like a white chick."
- "When you're dealing with people judging what you do, you just have to let it roll off like water off a ducks back."
- "Well I don't know her personally, but she looks older than mother darling, so I said when she steps into the voting booth she just 'siezures', spelling?" (in the "Snatch Game" as Little Edie)
- "Quite the scandal actually, with my cousin in law really. It was in all the magazines at the time." (As Little Edie on "Snatch Game")
- "♪CAN I GET AN AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!♪"
- "Detox, you won the challenge you can take the chicken mask off now."
- "*Pffft* Hmhmhm, okurr..."
- "It's gonna be hard to top Coco, but look at her. Who would wanna top Coco?"
- "Michelle Visage is so full of semen, period. No, seriously she's a whore."
- "Now it's time to go to the grand high bitch, herself."
- "You're so full of shit the toilet's jealous."
- "I tried to tease it but I just pissed it off."
- "I know this will be hard to believe, seeing as I'm the most polished, prettiest drag queen here."
- "I am serving up some Sofía Vergararara realness."
- "Hilda, you are muy estúpido if you think you are going to take over our familia!" (in the "telenovela challenge")
- "You ever been blowed by a girl with silicone lips, I call it the slip and slide, I just put my mouth on it and go *blublublub* MESH!" (as Detox in "Everybody Loves Puppets")
- "GET READY BITCHES 'CAUSE IT'S MONSOON SEASON!" (winner acceptance speech)
- "No, Josh, I personally hate myself wildly! It's a little game I like to play 'how much can I hate myself today'." (reacting to mean comments)
- "Gurl, why you gonna name yourself 'Brent Merlinhoot Boodangy'?" (reacting to mean comments)
- "I didn't mind being slapped across the face, I was happy for the airtime." (referring to accidentally be slapped by Aquaria her on Season 10)
- Jinkx suffers from narcolepsy, which they explained to the other contestants during the show's season premiere.
- Hoffer's journey as Jinkx Monsoon is documented in the five-part documentary web series "Drag Becomes Him". The title is a reference to "Death Becomes Her", one of Jinkx favorite movies.
- She has been in some controversy regarding her song 'Cartoons and Vodka', due to being mistaken as the celebrity who ripped off the Youtuber CypherDen.
- Her catchphrase "water off a duck's back" actually comes from a saying they heard from fellow Seattle drag queen Robbie Turner, who later competed on Season 8.
- Monsoon is the first contestant in series history to be ranked in the top placings in each episode for more than five consecutive weeks, with 9 consecutive weeks.
- Jinkx is the first main series winner to have won the "Snatch Game".
- Jinkx had a crush on Ivy Winters during filming for they season. Ironically, Ivy Winters ended up getting the title of "Miss Congeniality" the same day Jinkx got the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar".
- She was the first winner that didn't win a sewing challenge in the season they won, being followed by Season 8 winner Bob The Drag Queen and "All Star 2" winner Alaska. Interestingly enough, all of the three had won "Snatch Game" and were in the bottom of the last challenge.
- She is the first season winner to not win a main challenge within the first three weeks of competition, winning her first main challenge during week 5 (ep. 5). The second being Sasha Velour with her first challenge win being in week 4 (ep. 4). Coincidentally both queens only had 2 challenge wins when they won their seasons.
- The only time Jinkx placed in the bottom two was in episode 11, "Sugar Ball" where she lip-synced against Detox to the song "Malambo No. 1" by Yma Sumac.
- The prizes Jinkx won included a custom jewel package from Fierce Drag Jewels (ep. 5), a pair of fur coats from Fabulous-Furs (ep. 9), and as the season winner, she won a supply of Colorevolution Cosmetics, a one-of-a-kind trip courtesy of AlandChuck.travel, a headlining spot on Logo's "Drag Race Tour" featuring Absolut Vodka and a cash prize of $100,000.
- Jinkx along with Rupaul, Trixie Mattel, Alaska, and Katya were all made into Funko Pop! Figurines
- "The Inevitable Album" (2014) (Tracklist: 1. Ladies in Drag 2. No One As Sorry As Me 3. Coffee & Wine 4. My Heart Belongs To Daddy 5. The Bacon Shake ft. Fred Schneider 6. Everybody's Girl 7. Hold On 8. Hi-Jinkx Samba 9. Witchcraft ft. Major Scales 10. What About Debbie 11. Ballad of Johnny and Jack 12. One Tiny Taste 13. Creep 14. A Song to Come Home To 15. Falling in Love Again)
- "The Ginger Snapped" (2018) (Tracklist: 1. What's On 2. She Evil ft. Fred Schneider 3. Cartoons and Vodka 4. Boys in The Band ft. Amanda Palmer 5. I Just Wanna Make Love to You 6. Just Me - The Gender Binary Blues - 7. Friends 8. Sugar Mama 9. This Town 10. Pianoman ft. Lady Rizo 11. Take It Back 12. You've Really Got A Hold on Me)
- "Can I Get An Amen?" (2013) by RuPaul ft. Drag Race Season 5 Cast
- "Schizophrenic" (2013) by Two Dudes in Love ft. Jinkx Monsoon
- "Bring It" (2013) by Manila Luzon ft. Jinkx Monsoon
- "Jinkx Monsoon is not just a drag queen, she's the best fucking performer in Seattle." ― The Stranger
- "I fucking love Jinkx I have idolized her for years and I fucking love her to death." ― Cherry Swan
- "... Sings with the power of two Ethel Mermans in a bar brawl..." ― Adrian Ryan, The Homo Agenda
- "No one should be this young and yet this incredibly talented." ― Broadway World
- "Jinkx shows off talent that was only glimpsed at on "Drag Race" and proves to be a real star on stage." ― Huffington Post
- "...everyone leaves this show with sides aching from laughter." "A pure delight." ― New York Times
- Jinkx Monsoon's Site | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
- Jinkx Monsoon on YouTube | Apple Music | Wikipedia
4th: Detox • 5th: Coco Montrese • 6th: Alyssa Edwards • 7th: Ivy Winters (Miss Congeniality) • 8th: Jade Jolie • 9th: Lineysha Sparx • 10th & 11th: Honey Mahogany & Vivienne Pinay • 12th: Monica Beverly Hillz • 13th: Serena ChaCha • 14th: Penny Tration
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales