She had a drag friend in college, by the name of Marquetta Velveta. She was inspired by the way Marqueeta’s name rhymed, and also played with the word “marquee”. She is also a huge supporter of the legalization of marijuana usage. She wanted a drag name that involves weed, rhyming scheme, and play on words. Thus she is the strange plant – Laganja Estranja.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 6|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||2 (Eps. 1, 7)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Times Placed High||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 7)|
|Times Placed Low||0|
|Times in Bottom:||2 (Eps. 5, 8)|
|Episode Eliminated||Episode 8|
Laganja is known for her weed-themed costumes when performing, although these weren't shown on the show due to the shows drug-free atmosphere, and for her fashion choices when out of drag as well.
As a member of the Haus Of Edwards, Laganja has mastered the signature tongue pop that her drag mother Alyssa is so well known for.
During the filming of the show, viewers learned of Jay's issues with his parents when a video message was shown in the Gold Bar of Jay's parents where they told him that they had researched drag and now supported him. In Late December 2013, a photo of Jay and his mother was uploaded to Laganja's Instagram with the caption "My Mom finally went #highheel shopping with me for the first time and bought me three pairs of hooker boots!! What an incredible way to end 2013, I am truly so lucky to have both my parents!"
In April 2014, Alyssa Edwards and Laganja travelled together to perform in London, Glasgow, and Aberdeen. Since then, Laganja has also toured Bolivia and more locations across the Americas. Laganja performs solo or with two friends that are known as "Barbie's Addictions", the trio is known as "GanjaBabes". The signature moves include death drops, high kicks, twirling, and splits. Laganja has also been featured on "Got Beat", performed by Kraack ft. Laganja Estranja, Cool J & Lisa Wicker, as well as releasing her song on the Covergurlz album, where she covered RuPaul's "Jealous Of My Boogie". Laganja Estranja has also featured on "Gold Grillz BBQ" with Melanie Fontaine, with Barbie's Addictions accompanying her for the music video.
Laganja's talents include splits, twirling, and contortion. She is a trained dancer in ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip hop, jive, and foxtrot. She is also skilled in rapping, acting, modelling, makeup, styling, cinematography, music editing, filming, choreography, musical theatre, and nailography,
Laganja was the first queen of Season 6 to begin selling merchandise via her website. She has collaborated with X-TAR cosmetics to create her line of eye shadows and with Littered Nation to create a line of 48K gold jewellery, called "Laganja is My Hero."
In March 2015, Laganja and her drag family members, Alyssa Edwards and Shangela Laquifa Wadley began their House Of Edwards International Tour, traveling to Europe and Australia, as well as select North American dates. Laganja's song "LEGS" ft. Rye Dye popped March 2, the same date as the premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7, and is available on Amazon.
In 2016, Laganja developed #LaganjasDanceSchool, which is a class dedicated to hip-hop choreography, and gaining confidence. It has travelled internationally to cities such as Manchester, Nottingham, London, Newcastle, Dublin, Lima, Mexico City, and Amsterdam. The class is also held several times a month at The Basement Center of NoHo in North Hollywood.
Since season 6, she has stayed close with Gia Gunn; they even moved in together.
Jackson grew up in Dallas, Texas before moving to California and receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance/choreography/ nailography at the California Institute of Fine Arts. Laganja Estranja came to be when Alyssa Edwards put Jay into drag as he looked up to and admired Alyssa. Jay was working for Justin (Alyssa) at his dance studio, #BeyondBelief, as a choreographer at the time, and had also worked for Justin's competitor, Davenport.
In December 2012, Laganja competed in her first contest at Micky's in West Hollywood, California, and won a monthly spot as an official performer in "Showgirls, the Rusical". Since then, she's been sweeping out the competition and has received numerous titles such as Drag Idol, Queen of Dallas, and 2055 Top Newcomer. Laganja is a returning performer at Micky's, Hamburger Mary's WeHo, The Abbey, Rage, 340 Nightclub, VIP Riverside, Toucan's Tiki Lounge, and Hamburger Mary's Westfield. Additionally, Laganja has also appeared as a contortionist alongside Christina Aguilera for the American Music Awards, as a "Glamazon" for photographer Austin Young, and as a featured actress in Nana Ganja's "L.A. Rising". She also has her Dance classes in West Hollywood.
- "Oh y'all wanted a twist, 'ey? C'mon season 6, let's get sickening! YAAASS!"
- *Tongue pop*
- "Come on natch!"
- "Yas Gawd!"
- "Now it is very dry y'all, it's almost kinda like your vagina."
- "I FEEL VERY ATTACKED!"
- "This is just too fucking much!"
- "Can y'all get my fucking nail that fell off, because I'm SUCH a disaster!"
- "Well I'm young and I'm hung and I clearly march to the sound of my own drum, so props to ya, mawma!"
- “Hey hey hey HEYYYY Put cha lighter’s up! Ganja’s in the house owwwwww! As you can tell from my accent I am from Dallas, Tex-ass! And it was not very easy growing up looking like this! Whether I was playing in my grandma’s clothes or putting on a show for my well-organized alphabetically-ordered beanie babies I was guh guh guh GAY! OKKURRR! But it wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I discovered Marijuana, I mean I like to smoke, y’all I am just flying as high as your receding hairline! OKUr! Marijuana really does help me calm down, so y’all, I went to Valencia where they film the TV show Weeds! Now, y’all, it’s very dry, it’s almost kinda like your vajoina! Can I get an amen?!? Now y’all, I am a treehugger because if it ain’t green, HUH I’m not interested! OKURRRRRRRRRR!” *tongue pop*
- "Because if it ain't green, HUH, I'm not interested, OKAAAAAY?!"
- "I will be the first queen to actually chassé away." (upon elimination)
- Laganja has competed on the 15th season of " So You Think You Can Dance" in June 2018. This makes Laganja the fourth queen to compete on another non-drag reality show. The first three were Courtney Act, Adore Delano and Alaska.
- Laganja is the second longest-lasting contestant to never place high or low during their run on the show, having either won the challenge, been safe or been in the bottom two for all seven episodes she was present. She is surpassed only by Bob the Drag Queen, who lasted all eight episodes.
- Laganja has stated that she will never return for All-Stars, and has also made it very clear to World of Wonder. Her reason is that what she went through while competing on Season 6 was very intense. But she has said she would love to come back as a cameo, like Alyssa Edwards as a dance coach.
- Although Laganja has stated that she would never return for All-Stars, she was invited to All Stars 4. She declined.
- Laganja has stated that there is a possibility that she will return for All-Stars 6 as a Lip sync assassin.
- Laganja was on the 13th Episode of Germany's Next Top Model Season 13. Together with queens like Morgan McMichaels, Jaidynn Diore Fierce, and Farrah Moan, she had to perform with a girl form the top 6.
- She also appeared in the Grand Finale of the season.
- Laganja was a Guest Judge in Episode 6 of the German Drag Show Queen Of Drags. She was the final judge.
- Both Heidi Klum and Laganja stated that they are friends. They meet on the set of GNTM.
- Laganja appeared in an Anthony Padilla sit-down discussion video about the art of drag, along with Gigi Goode and Honey Davenport.
House of Edwards
|Cheryl Hole||Plastique Tiara||Shangela|
|Gia Gunn||Vivienne Pinay|
Season 6 Looks
- Laganja's Site | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Laganja Estranja on YouTube | Apple Music | Wikipedia | Spotify
4th: Darienne Lake • 5th: BenDeLaCreme (Miss Congeniality) • 6th Joslyn Fox • 7th: Trinity K. Bonet • 8th: Laganja Estranja • 9th: Milk • 10th: Gia Gunn • 11th: April Carrión • 12th: Vivacious • 13th & 14th: Kelly Mantle & Magnolia Crawford
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales • Miles Davis Moody • Simon Sherry-Wood