Laila McQueen got her stage name at age 17. "Laila" has a few meanings (mostly "night" in Arabic, and "holy" in some Sami languages), and was given from stripper friend of hers, who thought that it would be a pretty name for a stripper. "McQueen" comes from the fashion designer Alexander McQueen the last name.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 8|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||0|
|Times in Bottom Two:||2 (Eps. 1 & 2)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 2|
In Episode 1, "Keeping it 100", Laila did poorly in the photoshoot mini challenge with the past winners and her photo was deemed the worst of the group. She was described as looking like the "Hamburglar" for her walk and awkwardness in the photoshoot. For her throw-back runway she was assigned the "Rupocalypse Now!" design challenge from Season 4. Michelle Visage critiqued her bottom half of the look to be "basic" (however her look was well received by fans) and her photo secured her a spot in the Bottom 2. She lip-synced against Naysha Lopez to "Applause" by Lady Gaga and her sexual and fiery performance earned her a 2nd chance in the competition. In Episode 2, "Bitch Perfect", she was chosen for the team "Lady Bitches". She under erformed in the main stage challenge and the judges again critiqued her for not standing out and being too shy. After an underwhelming performance to "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor against Dax ExclamationPoint, she was sent home along with Dax in the 2nd ever double elimination in the show's hirtory.
- "Alright ladies, let's turn up the juice and see what shakes loose!" (Season 8 entrance quote)
- "Hey, bitch!"
- "This isn't the last you'll see of Laila McQueen." (Season 8 exit quote)
- "You're all the biggest pack of freaks and I'm so "happy" to call you "family". But actually, I love you all & can't wait for the future with you! PS. 1 less MADONNA xoxo Laila!"
- Laila McQueen graduated from the New Hampshire Institute of Art in 2015. She does paintings (oil, watercolour), screen printing, digital art, print making, boot art, collages, and more. Her work can be found on her personal website (www.tylerdevlin.com);
- McQueen's 5'6" (1,67 m);
- She did her 1st official drag gig the day after she turned 18;
- Her biggest inspirations are the artists Marilyn Manson, Freddie Mercury, Candy Darling, Divine, Keith Haring, Andy Warhol, and the character "Beetlejuice";
- Her favourite songs to perform are "Tainted Love" by Marilyn Manson and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen;
- She has an anxiety disorder called misophonia, which means negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions can be triggered by specific sounds;
- She fears turkeys and sharks;
- Her favourite drag queens are Season 3 winner Raja, Detox, Jackie Beat, Katya, Fena Barbitall, Season 10 winner Aquaria, Didi Maquiaveli, Rubber Child, Divine, and the whole cast of her season;
- She has the same birthday as her fellow Season 8 contestant and winner, Bob The Drag Queen;
- She once met RuPaul before Season 8;
- Before being on the show, she used to hand-make all of her merchandise for her fans;
- Dax ExclamationPoint and her were both a part of the 2nd ever double elimination in "RuPaul's Drag Race". Thus she's one of only 4 contestants who have been part of double elimination, along with Laila McQueen, Vivienne Pinay, and Honey Mahogany;
- She was eliminated 10th/11th but became 11th/12th due to Naysha Lopez returning;
- She would have done either fashion designer Betsy Johnson, singer Courtney Love, or TV personality Theresa Caputo for "Snatch Game".
- (2016) ''RuPaul's Drag Race", on Season 8
- (2016) ''Untucked", on Season 8
- (2016) ''Transformations"
- (2019) ''RuPaul's Drag Race out of the Closet"
4th: Chi Chi DeVayne • 5th: Derrick Barry • 6th: Thorgy Thor • 7th: Robbie Turner • 8th: Acid Betty • 9th: Naysha Lopez • 10th: Cynthia Lee Fontaine (Miss Congeniality) • 11th & 12th: Dax ExclamationPoint & Laila McQueen
Jason Carter • Miles Davis Moody • Bryce Eilenberg