Nina Flowers is the stage name of Jorge Flores, a drag performer, makeup artist and DJ from Bayamón, Puerto Rico. Flores is best known for being the first runner-up on Season 1 of RuPaul's Drag Race. Nina was voted on to the show by fans on an online poll. She was later also voted "Miss Congeniality" of the season in the reunion special by fans.
She came back to compete in RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, this time paired up with her fellow first season contestant Tammie Brown; together forming "Team Brown Flowers". They were eliminated second in Episode 2.
About Nina Flowers
Nina Flowers comes from a very accepting family, who supports her drag career with their hearts. Nina's mother passed away five years prior to completion of RuPaul's Drag Race, and she was Nina's motivation for the show.
Nina Flowers was originally born and raised in Bayamón but moved to Colorado because her partner decided to move to Denver in the United States.After Drag Race, Nina Flowers has performed all over the continental United States, Central America, and the Caribbean. Her residence club 'Tracks' in Denver is also a host for Drag Nation where she invites fellow RuPaul's Drag Race contestants and other local drag queens. Her drag mother was Alex Soto.
Drag Name Origin
Jorge Flores chose "Nina Flowers" as his drag name because before performing and doing drag, Nina's stage name was actually her real name "Jorge Flores" until she decided to enter her first beauty pageant. Nina won the pageant and became Miss Continental in 1999. But before entering the Miss Continental pageant, Jorge couldn't enter as a female figure with her real name. That's when she decided to think up of her drag name. Jorge's favourite Rock Star was Nina Hagen. Flores (Jorge's last name) means "Flowers" in Spanish. So Jorge combined Nina Hagen's first name and "Flowers" together to form the name "Nina Flowers."
RuPaul's Drag Race
While on RuPaul's Drag Race, Nina was known for her runway presentations, makeup skills, her androgynous style of drag, and her charming personality. She would go on to become the first and highest-ranking contestant in the series to win the title of "Miss Congeniality".
Nina Flowers was close to winning the title of America's Next Drag Superstar but lost it to Season 1's winner, BeBe Zahara Benet. Nina did not take her loss personally. She felt BeBe deserved the crown and was determined that BeBe could carry the title with "dignity and respect".
All Stars 1
Nina was announced as one of the twelve queens who would return to compete on RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race. She and fellow season one contestant Tammie Brown mutually picked each other in the first episode of the season, choosing the team name "Brown Flowers". Despite Tammie's antics, Nina got on well with her. After a poor performance in Episode 2's laff in, Tammie lip-synced for their lives but lost to Latrice Royale.
RuPaul's Drag Race Stats
|Season Competed:||Season 1||All-Stars|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 6)||0|
|Times as Team Captain:||0||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 1)||0|
|Times in Bottom Two:||0||1 (Ep. 2)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 8||Episode 2|
- Nina was the first maxi-challenge winner in the herstory of Drag Race.
- Nina is the first queen beside Rupaul to walk down the runwya
- Before becoming a drag queen, Nina Flowers performed in Puerto Rico under her real name "Jorge Flores" 5 nights a week, for 15 years.
- Nina is a big fan of the 1980's music industry. Her idols include Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, Pete Burns, and Annie Lennox.
- One of Nina Flower's passions besides drag is DJ'ing. Nina Flowers can relate to being a DJ because she believes both passions are to entertain her audiences, and she believes the music makes life beautiful.
- In 2009 after Drag Race, Nina eventually released her single "I am Flowers" which is now available on iTunes and Amazon.
- Nina discovered her passion for makeup at the age of 19.
- Nina was the first contestant to be critiqued in every episode until the finale.
- Nina Flowers was the only queen from Season 1 who never ended up lip-syncing for her life until the finale.
- After Drag Race, Nina was cast on the first season of RuPaul's Drag U, a spinoff of Drag Race where Nina becomes a Drag Professor alongside her fellow Drag Race competitors Shannel, Ongina and Tammie Brown.
- Nina is the only queen on the show to become Miss Congeniality while having a runner-up spot, which makes her the highest placing Miss Congeniality in the series and the only Miss Congeniality who had the opportunity to win the series in the final episode. The show's rules were changed for subsequent seasons so winners and runners-up could not be voted Miss Congeniality.
- Nina is the first queen in series history to compete on the show due to winning the fan vote. She was the winner on an online voting competition and won a spot on Season 1 of the show.
- She is the highest placing Latinx contestant on the season, and the first Latinx queen to achieve a runner-up spot.
- Nina is the first contestant in series history to have never been in the bottom two. Seven other contestants have achieved this since Nina: Tyra Sanchez, winner of Season 2, Alaska, Season 5 runner-up and winner of All Stars Season 2, Bianca Del Rio, winner of Season 6, Courtney Act, Season 6 runner-up, Violet Chachki, winner of Season 7, Kim Chi, Season 8 runner-up, Sasha Velour, winner of Season 9, and Aquaria, winner of Season 10.
- She lip-synced alongside Yuhua Hamasaki during the Season 10 finale.
- On May 29, 2009, the mayor of Denver, Colorado made May 29th Nina Flowers Day in order to recognize her contributions to the city’s LGBT community.
- Nina is one of the 4 queens to compete on more than one season, but only lip-sync once, the other three being Milk, Thorgy Thor and Pandora Boxx.
In December 2009, Flowers (in collaboration with DJ Ranny) released his first dance single "Loca", which is available for purchase via iTunes and other commercial music sites. The single has been remixed by such notable remixers as William Umana, Joe Gauthreaux, and Manny Lehman. The single reached it's highest spot (#15) on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play the week of January 30, 2010. Continuing his first successful venture in the dance music industry, Flowers released his first EP of original songs on July 15, 2010. Titled "Start Your Engines", the album is a compilation of six tracks that he and producer/remixer William Umana produced. The first single, "Locas in da House", utilizes Flower's trademark catchphrase in a tribal house anthem. In January 2011, Flowers released his new dance single "I'm Feeling Flowers", which he produced in collaboration with Miami based DJ/producer DJ MDW. His newest single, "Rock the Beat", was released on July 31, 2012.
- "I don't consider myself as a female impersonator, I like to be more androgynous. It's an extravaganza."
- "Just plug it in, and blow... shhhhhhhhh!" - Promoting a hair dryer on a spoof TV segment of Oprah's favorite things, on the third episode.
- "This is your name"
- "Tell me about your H-I-... uh H..." - Trying to ask Tori and Dean who guest starred on the third episode about their "HIT TV SHOW". Nina struggled and was mistaken quickly for appearing to say "HIV"
- "My favorite part of doing drag is the transformation. Nina takes over more and more and when she's done... the different persona comes out. That's really where the art is."
Season 1 Looks
All Stars 1 Looks
|2009||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 1|
|2010||RuPaul's Drag U||Episode: "Dateless Divas"|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars: Season 1|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 10||Episode: "Grand Finale"|
|2009||Beware the White Monster||Native 2||Short|
|2011||Hormonal Activity||Bloody Mary||Video short, also Makeup Department|
|2014||"I Look Fuckin' Cool"||Adore Delano feat. Alaska Thunderfuck||Cameo|
2nd: Nina Flowers (Miss Congeniality) & 3rd: Rebecca Glasscock
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire
Team Shad: Chad Michaels & Shannel • Team Rujubee: Raven & Jujubee • Team Yarlexis (5th): Alexis Mateo & Yara Sofia • Team Latrila (6th): Manila Luzon & Latrice Royale • Team Brown Flowers (7th): Nina Flowers & Tammie Brown • Team Mandora (8th): Pandora Boxx & Mimi Imfurst
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales