Nina Flowers is the stage name of Jorge Flores Sánchez, a drag performer, makeup artist and DJ from Bayamón, Puerto Rico.
Flowers entered the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race as a name very familiar to the other queens and the fans, leading up to her setting the bar high for herself. Known for her polished drag, insane looks, and her endearing personality, Nina managed to reach the Finale without ever landing in the bottom two. Despite this feat, and being the first queen to make it to the end without lip-syncing, she lost the crown to BeBe Zahara Benet. Her performance and over-all likability won her the first ever titled of Miss Congeniality.
Because of her legacy and positive presence, Flowers came back to compete in RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars, this time paired up with her fellow first season cast-mate Tammie Brown. The two were once again praised by the audience, and were deemed as favourites. Nonetheless, they were eliminated by Latrice Royale as a result of Brown losing the second All Stars lip-sync.
Nina Flowers comes from a very accepting family, who supports her drag career with their hearts. Nina's mother passed away five years prior to completion of RuPaul's Drag Race, and she was Nina's motivation for the show.
For her drag name, Jorge chose "Nina Flowers" because before performing and doing drag, her stage name was actually her real name (Jorge Flores) until she decided to enter her first beauty pageant. Nina won the pageant and became Miss Continental in 1999. As Jorge couldn't enter the pageant with her boy name, he decided to think up of her drag name. Jorge's favourite Rock Star was Nina Hagen, his last name means "flowers" in Spanish, so he combined Nina Hagen's first name and "Flowers" together to form his drag name.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 1||All Stars 1|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 6)||0|
|Times as Team Captain:||0||0|
|Times Placed High||4 (Eps. 2, 3, 4, 6)||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 1)||0|
|Times Placed Low||1 (Ep. 5)||0|
|Times in Bottom:||0||1 (Ep. 2)|
|Episode Eliminated||Episode 8||Episode 2|
While on RuPaul's Drag Race, Nina was known for her runway presentations, makeup skills, her androgynous style of drag, and her charming personality. She would go on to become the first and highest-ranking contestant in the series to win the title of "Miss Congeniality".
Nina Flowers was close to winning the title of America's Next Drag Superstar but lost it to Season 1's winner, Bebe Zahara Benet. Nina did not take her loss personally. She felt Bebe deserved the crown and was determined that Bebe could carry the title with "dignity and respect".
All Stars 1
Nina was announced as one of the twelve queens who would return to compete on RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race. She and fellow season one contestant Tammie Brown mutually picked each other in the first episode of the season, choosing the team name "Brown Flowers". Despite Tammie's antics, Nina got on well with her. After a poor performance in Episode 2's Snatch Game, Tammie lipsynced for their lives but lost to Latrice Royale.
- "I don't consider myself as a female impersonator, I like to be more androgynous. It's an extravaganza."
- "Just plug it in, and blow... shhhhhhhhh!" (promoting a hair dryer on the third episode challenge)
- "This is your name."
- "Tell me about your H-I-... uh H..." trying to ask the guests judges on the third episode about their "HIT TV SHOW". Nina struggled and was mistaken quickly for appearing to say "HIV")
- "My favorite part of doing drag is the transformation. Nina takes over more and more and when she's done... the different persona comes out. That's really where the art is."
- Jorge discovered her passion for makeup at the age of 19.
- Jorge performed in Puerto Rico 5 nights a week for 15 years, before becoming Nina.
- Jorge moved to Colorado because her partner decided to move to the United States.
- Nina is a big fan of the 1980's music industry. Her idols include Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, Pete Burns, and Annie Lennox.
- One of Nina Flower's passions besides drag is DJ'ing. Nina Flowers can relate to being a DJ because she believes both passions are to entertain her audiences, and she believes the music makes life beautiful.
- In 2009 after Drag Race, Nina eventually released her single "I am Flowers" which is now available on iTunes and Amazon.
- Her drag mother was Alex Soto.
- Nina is the first...
- ...maxi challenge winner in the herstory of Drag Race.
- ...queen in history to compete on the show due to winning the fan vote. She was the winner on an online voting competition and won a spot on Season 1.
- ...queen besides Rupaul to walk down the runway.
- ...first contestant to be critiqued in every episode until the finale.
- ...contestant in history to have never been in the bottom two.
- ...runner-up who never placed in the bottom two while the winner of her season did.
- ...latinx queen to achieve a runner-up spot, and highest placing latinx contestant on the season.
- On May 29, 2009, the mayor of Denver, Colorado made May 29th "Nina Flowers Day" in order to recognize her contributions to the city’s LGBT community.
- Nina Flowers was the only queen from Season 1 who never ended up lip-syncing for her life until the finale.
- Nina is the only queen on the show to become Miss Congeniality while having a runner-up spot, which makes her the highest placing Miss Congeniality in the series and the only Miss Congeniality who had the opportunity to win the series in the final episode. The show's rules were changed for subsequent seasons so winners and runners-up could not be voted Miss Congeniality.
- She lip-synced alongside Yuhua Hamasaki during the Season 10 finale.
- Nina is one of the 7 queens to compete on more than one season, but only lip-sync once, the other six being Milk, Thorgy Thor, Pandora Boxx, Ongina, Blair St. Clair and Mariah Paris Balenciaga.
- After the show Nina has performed all over the continental United States, Central America, and the Caribbean. In her residence club "Tracks" in Denver, is also a host for Drag Nation where she invites fellow Drag Race contestants and other local drag queens.
Season 1 Looks
All Stars 1 Looks (as a team with Tammie Brown)
In December 2009, Flowers (in collaboration with DJ Ranny) released his first dance single "Loca", which is available for purchase via iTunes and other commercial music sites. The single has been remixed by such notable remixers as William Umana, Joe Gauthreaux, and Manny Lehman. The single reached it's highest spot (#15) on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play the week of January 30, 2010. Continuing his first successful venture in the dance music industry, Flowers released his first EP of original songs on July 15, 2010. Titled "Start Your Engines", the album is a compilation of six tracks that he and producer/remixer William Umana produced. The first single, "Locas in da House", utilizes Flower's trademark catchphrase in a tribal house anthem. In January 2011, Flowers released his new dance single "I'm Feeling Flowers", which he produced in collaboration with Miami based DJ/producer DJ MDW. His newest single, "Rock the Beat", was released on July 31, 2012.
|2009||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 1|
|2010||RuPaul's Drag U||Episode: "Dateless Divas"|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars: Season 1|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: Season 10||Episode: "Grand Finale"|
|2009||Beware the White Monster||Native 2||Short|
|2011||Hormonal Activity||Bloody Mary||Video short, also Makeup Department|
2nd: Nina Flowers (Miss Congeniality) • 3rd: Rebecca Glasscock
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire
Team Shad: Chad Michaels & Shannel • Team Rujubee: Raven & Jujubee • Team Yarlexis (5th): Alexis Mateo & Yara Sofia • Team Latrila (6th): Manila Luzon & Latrice Royale • Team Brown Flowers (7th): Nina Flowers & Tammie Brown • Team Mandora (8th): Pandora Boxx & Mimi Imfurst
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales