Plastique Tiara Edwards, simply known as Plastique Tiara, is the stage name of Duc Tran Nguyen, a drag queen, performer, hairdresser and one of the Season 11 contestants of "RuPaul's Drag Race" (placed 8th).
Plastique's name comes from a "My Little Pony" character named "Diamond Tiara". She liked both the name and the character, but since a lot of people have "Diamond" on their names, she chose "Plastique" as hers as an allusion to plastic, a cheap material used to make luxurious Barbie dolls.
Plastique's drag mother is Alyssa Edwards (from Season 5 and "All Stars 2"). Thus, she is a member of Alyssa's "Haus of Edwards" alongside Shangela (from Season 2, Season 3 and "All Stars 3"), Laganja Estranja (from Season 6) and Vivienne Pinay (from Season 5).
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 11|
|Maxi Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 7)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 6)|
|Times as Team Captain:||1 (Ep. 6)|
|Times in Bottom:||2 (Eps. 3, 9)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 9|
Originally from Ho Chi Minh City (formerly known as Saigon), Vietnam, Plastique takes a lot of inspiration from Vietnamese pop stars style. Her style is a combination of everything flowy, pretty, and feminine. Plastique mixes Asian culture and beauty into her drag which gives her new youthful energy. Stunningly pretty, her popular Instagram page, with over 1 million followers, has even had her photos reposted by Tyra Banks. Plastique claims to represent the new generation of drag, where "drag is freedom, and you can be whatever you wanna be and do whatever you wanna do."
With none other than "RuPaul's Drag Race" alumni and legend Alyssa Edwards as her drag mother, she was considered to be an early favorite in the competition after proving that she can live up to the Edwards name with her dancing, lip-syncing and performance skills. She was particularly praised for her polished, glamorous runway looks, which landed her first (and only) win in Week 7. However, her reliance on Asian stereotypes failed to create a convincing character in Episode 9's improvisation challenge, and after losing a lip-sync to Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, she became the 8th contestant of Season 11 to sashay away.
"Xin chào các bạn, tôi là Plastique Tiara của Việt Nam." (Vietnamese for "Hello, I'm Plastique Tiara from Vietnam.")
- "I like to describe my drag as 3 P's: polished, persistent and pussy."
- "Charimnun." (pronouncing "charisnium" on Episode 2's "Why It Gotta Be Black, Panther?" sketch)
- "I'm a dancing queen, I'm a look queen, I can perform, I can beat my mug the house down, I can give you a death drop 1-2-8 count to a split if you want to, so, I'm everything."
- *devilishly deep voice* "ARIANA GRANDE!" (in Episode 3's "Diva Worship" sketch)
- *devilishly deep voice* "THAT WAS A MICROPHONE PROBLEM! (in "Diva Workship")
- "Oh y'all thought I was done!" *does a split*
- "I'm not Japanese!" (to Silky Nutmeg Ganache)
- "She looks like a Teletubby trying to strut for the first time." (referring to Soju)
"I love y'all so much ♥ Thank you for being so kind! Plastique ♥"
- Plastique Tiara was born and raised in Vietnam but moved to the USA when she was 11. Also at age 11, she started learning how to speak English.
- Tiara is a fan of "Sailor Moon" (which inspired some of her merch), K-pop, and Ariana Grande.
- A video on her Instagram went viral in Vietnam, leading to her having to explain what a breastplate was to many people.
- Plastique won the title of Miss Rose Room Rising Star 2016, a pageant often hosted by Asia O'Hara in Dallas' The Rose Room.
- She is one of Alyssa Edwards' drag daughters. She is also a part of the Haus of Edwards, featuring past contestants Shangela (Season 2, Season 3, & All Stars 3), Laganja Estranja (Season 6), Vivienne Pinay (Season 5), and now former member Gia Gunn (Season 6 & All Stars 4). Coincidentally, Plastique, Laganja, and Gia (on All Stars 4) all placed 8th on their respective seasons.
- She has made wigs for many artists/drag queens like her close friend Patrick Starrr, Season 10 winner Aquaria, Naomi Smalls, Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, etc.
- She has collaborated with YouTubers such as James Charles and Patrick Starrr.
- Her favorite past contestant is Jujubee.
- She was well known on Instagram before being on the show, having the largest following out of any new contestant on her season (not including the returnee Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, who's originally from Season 10).
- Much like Aquaria, she is the youngest contestant of her season at 21, had a large social media following before the cast reveal, and is the drag daughter of a successful drag race alumni.
- She was paired with Sonique for Season 11's 1st mini-challenge, which was a photo shoot.
- For her "Orange Alert" runway look, she wore a fire-themed corset previously worn by Cardi B for one of her music videos. It was also worn by Miss Fame for a makeup tutorial video and by Valentina for an All Stars 4 promo shoot.
- Plastique is open to doing All Stars .
- She participated in the first-ever six-way lip-sync, lip-syncing against A'keria Chanel Davenport, Honey Davenport, Ra'Jah O'Hara, Scarlet Envy and Shuga Cain.
- She reached 1 million followers on Instagram on April 20, 2019, becoming the 20th RuPaul's Drag Race queen in herstory to reach this milestone.
- She was also the first Season 11 queen to reach this number of followers.
- She's also the first-ever queen to reached 1 million followers when her season is still airing.
- Plastique released her debut single, Irresistible, the day after her elimination aired.
- Coincidentally, Blair St. Clair has a song that shares the same name.
Season 11 Looks
|2nd: Brooke Lynn Hytes • 3rd/4th: A'keria Chanel Davenport & Silky Nutmeg Ganache|
|5th: Vanessa Vanjie Mateo • 6th: Nina West (Miss Congeniality) • 7th: Shuga Cain • 8th: Plastique Tiara • 9th: Ra'Jah O'Hara • 10th: Scarlet Envy • 11th: Ariel Versace • 12th: Mercedes Iman Diamond • 13th: Honey Davenport • 14th: Kahanna Montrese • 15th: Soju|
|Jason Carter • Bruno Carvalho • Bryce Eilenberg|