Raja Gemini, also simply known as Raja, is the stage name of Sutan Amrull, a drag queen, makeup artist, model best known for her work on the reality TV show America's Next Top Model, as well as being the Season 3 winner of RuPaul's Drag Race.
Biography & Career
Born in Baldwin Park, California, Raja was 3 years old when she moved to Indonesia (where her father is from) alongside her family and stayed there for 6 years before returning to the USA. She attended university as an art student for 2 years, then decided to pursue a career as a makeup artist and drag queen. In 2005, she started to be the head makeup artist on Tyra Banks' reality show America's Next Top Model, where she worked on the show from Cycles 4 through 12. Her clientele has included several celebrities including Pamela Anderson, Dita Von Teese, Paulina Porizkova, Iman, Twiggy, Iggy Azalea, etc.
Raja's name comes from the term "rajá", a title extended to an Indian king or prince. "Gemini" comes from Raja's zodiac sign, Gemini.
Raja, together with Season 10's Mayhem Miller, has a drag daughter named Rhea Litré and, after winning Season 3, she also has been adopting several drag children, including Anderson Brooks, Thierry Meissel, Illuminati Princess, and Bionka Simone, etc.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 3|
|Mini Challenges Won:||2 (Eps. 2, 11)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Times Placed High:||4 (Eps. 6, 8, 11, 13)|
|Main Challenges Won:||3 (Eps. 2, 7, 10)|
|Times Placed Low:||1 (Ep. 9)|
|Times in Bottom 2:||1 (Ep. 12)|
To be casted, Raja made a audition video for Season 3 with highlights of her long career and friend celebs such as Adam Lambert.
During Season 3, Raja quickly stole attention with her high fashion looks, signature catwalk and for being one of the "Heathers" (clique named after the film Heathers, which includes herself, Manila Luzon, Delta Work and Carmen Carrera). Other highlights of her time as a contestant was the fact she used tulle fabric during the "Hair Extravaganza" challenge, which planted suspicion on Shangela and sparked the legendary moment in Untucked known as "Tullegate".
In the finale, Raja was up against fellow contestants Alexis Mateo and Manila Luzon, but only Manila and Raja stayed to be in the Top 2. After a lip-sync battle with Manila to "Champion" by RuPaul, Raja was declared the third crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar". Following Raja's win, there was some controversy from fans of the show who felt as though Raja had won less to her talent and more due to her prior friendship with RuPaul.
- "I have a master's degree in FIERCE."
- "I was like: ‘is that somebody's momma?’" (about Stacy Layne Matthews out of drag)
- "NAOMI CAMPBELL IS A CUM GUZZLING WHORE!" (as Tyra Banks in "Snatch Game")
- "Smizing." (as Tyra Banks in "Snatch Game" challenge)
- "Shangela, I hope you still have your phone card to middle earth, 'cause the hobbits are calling!" (in "Reading Is Fundamental")
- "Fat...who cares?...Syphilis." (referring to Delta Work, Alexis Mateo, and Carmen Carrera in "Reading Is Fundamental" challenge)
- "Monah Ah Chan." (pronouncing Monét X Change's name)
- "SEES MAH!" (imitating Aja saying "Sis Ma.")
- "Huh? What about it?!" (reacting to a mean comment)
- Raja has been doing drag since 1990.
- She first started doing drag as a club kid under the name "Creoula".
- She was influenced in her drag career by Viva Sex, a legendary Southern California entertainer.
- She's 6 ft 3" (1,90 m).
- She, along with RuPaul, made a brief appearance on The Simpsons, on Season 30 Episode 7.
- She played the role of a party host of Marge Simpson's "tupperware party".
- In addition to her continuing duties as a makeup artist for Adam Lambert, Raja Gemini toured the US and parts of Canada on the Drag Race Absolut Vodka Tour in 2012.
- Her, Season 6 winner Bianca Del Rio, and Season 12 winner Jaida Essence Hall are the only winners to not compete in every episode, as the first episode of Season 3 was a casting special.
- She was the first winner to win the first main challenge of a season.
- Her lip-sync against Carmen Carrera is considered by many fans one of the most memorable and sexiest ever done on the show.
- The prizes she won for winning her season included a headlining spot on the Absolut Tour, a lifetime supply of Kryolan makeup and a cash prize of $75,000.
- She is the first and only Indonesian winner in the entire franchise.
- She is also the only American winner of Asian descent.
- For a short time, she hosted her own WOW series named "Raja Drawja", in which she had an offscreen conversation with a queen while drawing her.
- Raja speaks Dutch
- Raja is the first Dutch-Indonesian to appear in the franchise, followed only by Megan Schoonbrood (Drag Race Holland).
Season 3 Looks
- "Diamond Crowned Queen". (2011)
- "Sublime". (2012)
- "Zubi Zubi Zubi". (2013)
- "Cholita". (2015)
- "Moodbored". (2019)
- "Lady Marmalade" by The Heathers (Raja, Manila Luzon, Delta Work & Carmen Carrera). (2014)
4th: Yara Sofia (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Carmen Carrera • 6th: Shangela • 7th: Delta Work • 8th: Stacy Layne Matthews • 9th: Mariah • 10th: India Ferrah • 11th Mimi Imfurst • 12th: Phoenix • 13th: Venus D-Lite
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales