Raja, also known as Raja Gemini, is the stage name of Sutan Amrull, a drag queen, makeup artist, model and performer best known for her work on the reality TV show "America's Next Top Model", as well as being the Season 3 winner of "RuPaul's Drag Race".
Raja's name comes from the term "rajá", a title extended to an Indian king or prince. "Gemini" comes from Raja's zodiac sign, Gemini.
Raja was the head makeup artist on Tyra Banks' "America's Next Top Model", where she worked on the show from Cycles 4 through 12. Her clientele has included several celebrities including Pamela Anderson, Tyra Banks, Dita Von Teese, Paulina Porizkova, Iman, Twiggy, Iggy Azalea, etc. Since 2009, she has been a makeup artist to singer Adam Lambert for print media, live appearances and his international 2010 tour, "Glam Nation Tour".
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 3|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||2 (ep. 2, 11)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||3 (ep. 2, 7, 10)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (ep. 12)|
For be on the TV show, Raja made a audition video for the 3rd season, which included an endorsement from Adam Lambert.
On Season 3, highlights include Raja winning the 1st mini and main challenges, impersonating Tyra Banks on "Snatch Game", winning the cake couture challenge as well as the "RuPaul-Apalooza" challenge.
Raja got known for being one of the "Heathers" (clique, named after the film "Heathers", including Raja, Carmen Carrera, Manila Luzon and Delta Work), her attitude and numerous challenge wins were often criticized by other contestants. She also got know for using tulle in the Season 3 "Hair Extravaganza" challenge, which planted suspicion in Shangela and sparked the legendary moment in "Untucked" known as "tullegate".
In the finale, Raja was up against fellow contestants Alexis Mateo and Manila Luzon, but only Manila and Raja stayed for be the Top 2. After a lip sync battle with Manila, to "Champion" by RuPaul, Raja was declared the 3rd crowned "America's Next Drag Superstar". Following Raja's win, there was some controversy from fans of the show who felt as though Raja had won less to her talent and more due to her prior friendship with RuPaul.
- "Monah Ah Chan." (pronouncing Monét X Change's name)
- "SEESMAH!" (imitating Aja saying "Sis Ma.")
- "NAOMI CAMPBELL IS A CUM GUZZLING WHORE!" (as Tyra Banks in "Snatch Game")
- "I have a master's degree in FIERCE."
- "I was like: 'is that somebody's momma?'" (about Stacy Layne Matthews out of drag)
- "Syphilis." (about Carmen Carrera in the "Reading is Fundamental" challenge)
- In addition to her continuing duties as a makeup artist for Adam Lambert, Raja Gemini toured the US and parts of Canada on the "Drag Race Absolut Vodka Tour" in 2012. She continues to make appearances across the US and also has appeared on "RuPaul's Drag U";
- Gemini was influenced in her drag career by Viva Sex, a legendary Southern California entertainer;
- She is the drag mother of Rhea Litré and Season 8's Naomi Smalls. She also has "adopted" several drag children since winning the crown, including Anderson Brooks, Thierry Meissel, Illuminati Princess (Gregory Grey) and Bionka Simone;
- She frequetly appears along side Raven, the runner-up of Season 2 and "All Stars 1", in the WOWPresents show, "Fashion Photo RuView";
- She's the host of WOWPresents shows "Raja Drawja" and "The Pit Stop";
- She has also appeared in Hi Fashion's music video "Amazing";
- She, along with RuPaul, made a brief appearance on "The Simpsons", on Season 30, Episode 7. She played the role of a party host of Marge's "tupperware party";
- She won the 1st main challenge of her season, making her the first season winner to accomplish this;
- She portrayed Tyra Banks (who she personally knows) in Episode 6, "Snatch Game", where she placed in the Top 3 for that episode but ultimately did not win the main challenge;
- She placed in the Bottom 2 only once in Episode 12, "Jocks in Frocks" where she lip-synced against Carmen Carrera to the song "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul. The performance is considered by many fans to be one of the most memorable and sexiest lip sync battles ever done on the show;
- The prizes she won for winning her season included a headlining spot on the Absolut Tour, a lifetime supply of Kryolan makeup and a cash prize of $75,000;
- She's the 1st, and so far the only Indonesian season winner in the entire franchise, and the only American winner of Asian descent.
Season 3 Looks
- "Diamond Crowned Queen" (2011)
- "Sublime" (2012)
- "Zubi Zubi Zubi" (2013)
- "Lady Marmalade" (2014) by The Heathers (Raja, Manila Luzon, Delta Work & Carmen Carrera)
- "Cholita" (2015)
4th: Yara Sofia (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Carmen Carrera • 6th: Shangela • 7th: Delta Work • 8th: Stacy Layne Matthews • 9th: Mariah • 10th: India Ferrah • 11th Mimi Imfurst • 12th: Phoenix • 13th: Venus D-Lite
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales