|RuPaul's Drag Race|
The first season of RuPaul's Drag Race, later referred to as The Lost Season, premiered in the United States on February 2, 2009, on Logo. Nine contestants were selected to compete in the running of becoming "America's Next Drag Superstar."
The winner of the first season won a lifetime supply of MAC Cosmetics, was featured in an LA Eyeworks campaign, joined the Logo Drag Race tour, and won a cash prize of $20,000. One of the nine contestants to compete on RuPaul's Drag Race was determined by an audience vote via the show's official website. The results were announced in early September 2008. The contestant to win this honor was Nina Flowers from Bayamón, Puerto Rico (currently Denver, Colorado). The theme song playing during the runway every episode was "Cover Girl" from RuPaul's album Champion.
The winner of the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race was Bebe Zahara Benet, with Nina Flowers placing as runner-up as well as winning Miss Congeniality.
In Late 2013, Logo re-aired the first season, which was titled RuPaul's Drag Race: The Lost Season Ru-Vealed, and featured commentary from RuPaul.
In 2012, Nina Flowers, Shannel, and Tammie Brown returned to compete for a spot in the Drag Race Hall of Fame in the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars. Nina and Tammie placed 9th/10th overall, while Shannel placed 3rd/4th overall alongside Season 2 contestant Jujubee.
In the third season of All Stars, it was revealed that BeBe Zahara Benet would be competing as the surprise tenth queen. She placed 3rd/4th overall, alongside Season 2 and 3 contestant, Shangela, due to a jury vote.
(Stage names, ages and locations stated from during time of contest)
|Rank||Contestant||Photo||Real Name||Age||Location||Ep. 1||Ep. 2||Ep. 3||Ep. 4||Ep. 5||Ep. 6||Ep. 7||Ep. 8||Ep. 9|
|Bebe Zahara Benet||Nea Marshall Kudi Ngwa||28||Minneapolis, MN||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||HIGH||BTM2||WIN||RUN||WINNER||GUEST|
|Nina Flowers||Jorge Luis Flores Sánchez||34||Denver, CO||WIN||HIGH
|3rd||Rebecca Glasscock||Javier José Rivera Nieves||26||Ft. Lauderdale, FL||LOW||HIGH
|4th||Shannel||Bryan Watkins||29||Las Vegas, NV||SAFE||HIGH
|5th||Ongina||Ryan Ong Palao||26||Los Angeles, CA||HIGH||WIN
|6th||Jade||David Sotomayor||25||Chicago, IL||SAFE||SAFE||LOW||ELIM
|7th||Akashia||Eric Flint||24||Cleveland, OH||BTM2||BTM2
|8th||Tammie Brown||Keith Glen Schubert||29||Long Beach, CA||SAFE||ELIM||GUEST|
|9th||Victoria "Porkchop" Parker||Victor Bowling||39||Raleigh, NC||ELIM||GUEST|
- █ The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race.
- █ The contestant was the first runner-up.
- █ The contestant was eliminated in 3rd place & did not compete in final lip sync.
- █ The contestant won the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was one of the best but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was a member of a winning team but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant had immunity in this episode.
- █ The contestant was one of the worst but did not place in the bottom two.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two but was not eliminated.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two & was eliminated.
- █ The contestant was voted "Miss Congeniality" by viewers.
- █ The contestant appeared as a guest on the "Reunion" episode, but was out of the running.
|Series #||Episode #||Episode Title||Airdate|
|1||1||Drag on a Dime||February 2, 2009|
|2||2||Girl Group Challenge||February 9, 2009|
|3||3||Queens of All Media||February 16, 2009|
|4||4||Mac Viva-Glam Challenge||February 23, 2009|
|5||5||Drag School of Charm||March 2, 2009|
|6||6||Absolut Drag Ball||March 9, 2009|
|7||7||Extra Special Edition||March 16, 2009|
|8||8||Grand Finale||March 23, 2009|
|9||9||Re-United!||March 23, 2009|
Episode 1: "Drag On A Dime"
Airdate: February 2, 2009
Synopsis: Nine contestants must re-invent their glam drag looks using thrift store clothing and tschotchkes from the 99-cent store. Guest judge Bob Mackie stops by to help RuPaul weed out the drag queen with the least style.
- Guest Judges: Bob Mackie and Mike Ruiz
- Maxi Challenge: Do a Sexy Photo Shoot and Design outfits with materials from a Thrift Store
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Nina Flowers
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Stay in Paris Hotel in Las Vegas and immunity from next week's elimination
- Bottom Two: Akashia and Victoria Parker
- Lip Sync Song: "Supermodel" by RuPaul
- Eliminated: Victoria "Porkchop" Parker
|5||Victoria "Porkchop" Parker|
|9||Bebe Zahara Benet|
Sexy Car Wash Photoshoot
Episode 2: "Girl Group Challenge"
Airdate: February 9, 2009
Synopsis: Wigs fly when the contestants split up into 2 rival girl groups, something guest judge Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child would know plenty about. Can the girls impress RuPaul with their lip-synching skills?
- Guest Judges: Michelle Williams and Frank Gatson
- Mini Challenge: Act out certain emotions and take pictures of themselves with a digital camera.
- Mini Challenge Winners: Ongina and Akashia
- Mini Challenge Prize: Got to select their group as team captains
- Maxi Challenge: Destiny's Child girl group battle
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Ongina
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Immunity from next week's elimination and a basket of chocolate from Karma and Vojeur Chocolate.
- Bottom Two: Akashia and Tammie Brown
- Lip Sync Song: "We Break the Dawn" by Michelle Williams
- Eliminated: Tammie Brown
|"Say My Name"||"Independent Women"|
Reaction Selfies Photos
"You just found out your 10.000$ Louis Vuitton bag is a fake!"
"Sad news: Cher just announced that she's retiring, for real!"
"Somebody cut the cheese!"
Episode 3: "Queens of All Media"
Airdate: February 16, 2009
Synopsis: The queens are tested on their multi-media prowess as they show off their talents as newscaster, product spokesperson, and talk show host to RuPaul and guest judge Debra Wilson of MADtv.
- Special Guests: Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott
- Guest Judges: Howard Bragman and Debra Wilson
- Maxi Challenge: Channelling Oprah
- Runway Theme: Dress to Impress
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Bebe Zahara Benet
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Sonos stereo sound system and immunity from next week's elimination
- Bottom Two: Akashia and Shannel
- Lip Sync Song: "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston
- Eliminated: Akashia
Episode 4: "Mac Viva-Glam Challenge"
Airdate: February 23, 2009
Synopsis: Hoping to follow in the footsteps of MAC Cosmetics' first Viva Glam girl, RuPaul, the queens make their own Viva Glam screen test. Jenny Shimizu joins the panel to help judge the girls' drag queen status.
- Guest Judges: Gordon Espinet and Jenny Shimizu
- Mini Challenge: 30 minutes to do partner's makeup.
- Mini Challenge Winner: Jade
- Mini Challenge Prize: 5 extra minutes in the Maxi Challenge
- Maxi Challenge: Film a Mac-Viva Glam commercial in 10 minutes.
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Ongina
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Mac-Viva Glam ambassadorship
- Bottom Two: Jade and Rebecca Glasscock
- Lip Sync Song: "Would I Lie To You?" by The Eurythmics
- Eliminated: Jade
Episode 5: "Drag School of Charm"
Airdate: March 2, 2009
Synopsis: The contestants make over a group of female extreme fighters into their drag daughters. Xena herself, Lucy Lawless, makes a guest appearance to judge the girls' combat prowess.
- Guest Judges: Lucy Lawless and Robin Antin
- Mini Challenge: Exercise and endurance challenge.
- Mini Challenge Winner: Rebecca Glasscock
- Mini Challenge Prize: Assign the partners for the Maxi Challenge
- Maxi Challenge: Makeover a female fighter using MAC Cosmetics, supplies from Michael Levine Fabrics and shoes from Kitson LA.
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Rebecca Glasscock
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Gift baskets from Carnisto worth $1,000
- Bottom Two: Bebe Zahara Benet and Ongina
- Lip Sync Song: "Stronger" by Britney Spears
- Eliminated: Ongina
Episode 6: "Absolut Drag Ball"
Airdate: March 9, 2009
Synopsis: RuPaul makes the queens hit the floor in a good old fashioned drag ball inspired by Absolut's real fruit flavored vodka.
- Special Guest: Charo
- Guest Judges: Jeffrey Moran and María Conchita Alonso
- Mini Challenge: "Voguing" dance-off.
- Mini Challenge Winner: Nina Flowers
- Mini Challenge Prize: Assign the flavors for the Ball
- Maxi Challenge: Absolut Ball
- Maxi Challenge Winner: Bebe Zahara Benet
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Custom dress from Miami Elite Design
- Bottom Two: Rebecca Glasscock and Shannel
- Lip Sync Song: "Shackles (Praise You)" by Mary Mary
- Eliminated: Shannel
|Queen||Flavor||"Who Should Go Home Tonight?" Choice|
|Nina Flowers||Mango||Rebecca Glasscock|
|Bebe Zahara Benet||Raspberry|
Top Three of Season 1
|Queens||Challenge Wins||Up for Elimination|
(Eps. 3, 6)
(Eps. 4, 6)
Episode 7: "Extra Special Edition"
Airdate: March 16, 2009
Synopsis: Look back on the highlights, lowlights, and previously unseen footage from the first six episodes as we race toward the climactic grand finale!
- Santino and Merle's Picks for Top Ten Fashion Moments (judging panel fashions only except noted otherwise)
- 10. Tammie Brown, Episode One
- 9. Jade, Episode Three. Judges compared her look to young Elisabeth Taylor, Barbarella and the movie "Valley of the Dolls". She also was similar to the lady from pages of science fantasy from 70.
- 8. Rebecca Glasscock, Episode Two
- 7. Bebe Zahara Benet, Episode Four. Squirrel's friends compared her to Grace Jones.
- 6. Nina Flowers' Makeup throughout the season. Merle noticed that she has kabuki style in her makeup, and that she knows how to powder her face to pop out her eyes.
- 5. Ongina, Episode Four
- 4. Shannel, Episode Three. It reminded judges the movie "Showgirls".
- 3. Bebe Zahara Benet, Episode Three
- 2. Nina Flowers, Episode One
- 1. RuPaul’s various judging panel gowns designed by Zaldy.
Episode 8: "Grand Finale"
Airdate: March 23, 2009
Synopsis: The last 3 queens face their final challenge while shooting the music video for RuPaul's new single "Cover Girl (Put The Bass In Your Walk)." Out artist Cazwell stops by to help the judges cast their final vote.
- Main Challenge: Recording a verse and filming a spot for RuPaul's latest video.
- Eliminated: Rebecca Glasscock
- Top Two: Bebe Zahara Benet and Nina Flowers
- Lip Sync Song: "Cover Girl (Put the Bass in Your Walk)" by RuPaul
- Runner-Up: Nina Flowers
- Winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 1: Bebe Zahara Benet
Episode 9: "Re-United!"
Airdate: March 29, 2009
Synopsis: In this reunion special, all nine contestants return to give their take on what happened during the show. Plus, the girls confront the judges...and each other!
- Discussions: Ru asks Victoria if she enjoyed her short stay and if she felt she could've done well in the later challenges, Tammie discusses her quirkiness, Akashia's anger and tearful exit are touched on, and Jade voices her frustration with Rebecca and her joy in meeting the other girls. Ongina talks about her progression as a drag artist and her controversial outing as an HIV positive person in Episode Four. Shannel's overconfidence and her elimination against Rebecca are discussed. The girls talk about Rebecca's fakeness and attitude, causing arguments to ensue. Nina talks about finishing second and says the Oprah challenge was the toughest for her. Nina also says the audience reception for her has been favorable. Bebe talks about winning and the audience reaction in Cameroon. Ru asks Bebe if she was surprised that Rebecca made it to the final three and when asked for hands, most queens feel she shouldn't have. Nina is surprised that Jade was eliminated over Rebecca and Jade takes the chance for closure by extending an olive branch to Rebecca. Ru gives the girls some viewer questions. Akashia is asked about upgrading her hooker style, Rebecca is asked about the friend she mentioned in the Mac Viva-Glam challenge, and Shannel is asked if her wig falling off in the episode three lip sync battle was staged. Ongina is asked about going from winning a challenge to lip syncing for her life, Nina is asked about what lead her to choose an androgynous drag style, and all of the girls are asked about hiding razor bumps and stubble. Merle and Santino are then brought out to discuss their experiences on the show. Merle talks about everyone's ideas of femininity and Santino discusses the fashion and his judging style. The girls are then allowed to get into the judges' heads and Shannel says she left the show because Santino made her feel like crap every week. The two argue and Ru intervenes to tell Shannel not to let someone else's opinion get her down. Ru says negativity exists and Tammie argues that they don't need to feed into it, arguing with Ru on the subject. Ru gets upset and takes the girls to task for taking the negativity too hard, telling them they need to build themselves up and not rely on others holding their hands.
- Miss Congeniality: Nina Flowers
- Season 1 is the first season...
- ... to have a mini challenge (Episode 2).
- ... to have a recap episode (Episode 7).
- ... to have a reunion (Episode 9).
- ... to have a contestant from Africa (Bebe Zahara Benet).
- Bebe is also the only winner from Africa.
- ... to have a contestant from Puerto Rico (Nina Flowers).
- Nina is also the first contest to be voted onto the show by fans.
- Nina is also the first Miss Congeniality to make it to the finale as a competitor in the same season.
- ... to have no contestants from New York.
- This season is also the only non-international regular season to achieve this feat.
- ... to have five queens that have never placed 'Safe,' Akashia, Nina Flowers, Ongina, Rebecca Glasscock and Victoria "Porkchop" Parker.
- Season 1 is...
- ... the third shortest season in series' history, with a total of 9 episodes.
- ... the season with the least contestants, with a total of 9 contestants.
- ... the only season where a filter was used throughout the entire season.
- Coincidentally, the contestants of this season have only returned to All Stars in odd number seasons.
- The lip-sync assassins of Season 1 are Rebecca Glasscock, Akashia and BeBe Zahara Benet. Rebecca eliminated Jade and Shannel, Akashia eliminated Victoria Parker and Tammie Brown, and Bebe eliminated Ongina and won the Lip Sync For The Crown against Nina Flowers.
- This season is tied with UK Season 1 and All Stars 5 for having the second smallest number of individual challenge winners, after Drag Race Holland (Season 1) which only had 3, with only 4 queens in the season (BeBe Zahara Benet, Nina Flowers, Rebecca Glasscock, Ongina) having won a main challenge.
Meet the Queens
|Winner||BeBe Zahara Benet|
|Runners-Up||2nd: Nina Flowers (Miss Congeniality) • 3rd: Rebecca Glasscock|
|Other Queens||4th: Shannel • 5th: Ongina • 6th: Jade • 7th: Akashia • 8th: Tammie Brown • 9th: Victoria "Porkchop" Parker|
|Judges||RuPaul • Santino Rice • Merle Ginsberg|
|Pit Crew||Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire|