|RuPaul's Drag Race|
The eighth season of RuPaul's Drag Race began airing on March 7, 2016, with returning judges RuPaul and Michelle Visage, and Carson Kressley and Ross Mathews alternating as they did in Season 7. Twelve queens will be competing for the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar" and a cash prize of $100,000 this season, which was the fewest amount of contestants since Season 2. The cast members were revealed during the NewNowNext Awards on February 1st, 2016.
This season marks one-hundred episodes of Drag Race, with the premiere being the one-hundredth episode. It also marks one-hundred contestants to enter the competition, featuring Derrick Barry as the one-hundredth queen to enter the work room.
In 2017 during the second episode of Season 9 Cynthia Lee Fontaine returned to the competition, where she placed 10th.
On August 20, 2020, Chi Chi DeVayne tragically passed away after being hospitalized with pneumonia.
(Biographical information stated from during time of contest)
|Rank||Contestant||Photo||Real Name||Age||Current City||Ep. 1||Ep. 2||Ep. 3||Ep. 4||Ep. 5||Ep. 6||Ep. 7||Ep. 8||Ep. 9||Ep. 10|
|Bob The Drag Queen||Christopher Caldwell||29||New York, NY||SAFE||SAFE||WIN||SAFE||WIN||SAFE
|Kim Chi||Sang-Young Shin||27||Chicago, IL||WIN||LOW||SAFE||HIGH
|Naomi Smalls||Davis Heppenstall||21||Redlands, CA||LOW||SAFE||SAFE
|4th||Chi Chi DeVayne||Zavion Michael Davenport||29||Shreveport, LA||SAFE||WIN
|5th||Derrick Barry||Derrick Prentice Barry||32||Las Vegas, NV||HIGH||SAFE||LOW||LOW||HIGH||BTM2||WIN
|6th||Thorgy Thor||Shane Thor Galligan||31||Brooklyn, NY||SAFE||HIGH||HIGH||SAFE||HIGH||SAFE||ELIM||GUEST|
|7th||Robbie Turner||Jeremy Baird||33||Seattle, WA||LOW
|8th||Acid Betty||Jamin Ruhren||38||Brooklyn, NY||HIGH||HIGH||HIGH||SAFE||ELIM||GUEST|
|Naysha Lopez||Fabian Rodriguez||31||Chicago, IL||ELIM||RTRN
|Cynthia Lee Fontaine||Carlos Díaz Hernández||34||Austin, TX||SAFE||SAFE
|Dax ExclamationPoint||Dax Martin||31||Savannah, GA||SAFE||ELIM||GUEST|
|Laila McQueen||Tyler Devlin||22||Gloucester, MA||BTM2||ELIM||GUEST|
- █ The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race.
- █ The contestant was a runner-up.
- █ The contestant competed in a four-person final lip-sync against all remaining contestants and moved on to the Grand Finale.
- █ The contestant was eliminated by RuPaul before the Grand Finale.
- █ The contestant was one of two maxi challenge winners.
- █ The contestant won the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was one of the best but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was a member of a winning team but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was one of the worst but did not place in the bottom two.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two but neither was eliminated.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two but was not eliminated.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two & was the one who was eliminated.
- █ The contestant was eliminated for the second time.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two & both were eliminated.
- █ The contestant was previously eliminated, returned, and was safe.
- █ The contestant was voted Miss Congeniality by viewers.
- █ The contestant appeared as a guest, but was out of the running.
|Series #||Episode #||Episode Title||Airdate|
|100||1||Keeping it 100!||March 7, 2016|
|101||2||Bitch Perfect||March 14, 2016|
|102||3||RuCo's Empire||March 21, 2016|
|103||4||New Wave Queens||March 28, 2016|
|104||5||Supermodel Snatch Game||April 4, 2016|
|105||6||Wizards of Drag||April 11, 2016|
|106||7||Shady Politics||April 18, 2016|
|107||8||RuPaul Book Ball||April 25, 2016|
|108||9||The Realness||May 2, 2016|
|109||10||Grand Finale||May 16, 2016|
Episode 1: "Keeping It 100!"
Airdate: March 7, 2016
Synopsis: For the 100th episode, Ru challenges a new crop of hens to craft outfits based on design challenges from seasons past. Nicole Richie guest judges.
- Guest Judge: Nicole Richie
- Special Guest(s): BeBe Zahara Benet, Tyra Sanchez, Raja, Sharon Needles, Chad Michaels, Jinkx Monsoon, Violet Chachki, Morgan McMichaels, Latrice Royale, Raven, Shannel
- Alternating Judge(s): Carson Kressley and Ross Matthews
- Mini-Challenge: Photoshoot with past winners
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Robbie Turner
- Mini-Challenge Prize: Assign the design challenges
- Main Challenge: Create an outfit based on design challenges from seasons past
- Main Challenge Winner: Kim Chi
- Main Challenge Prize: $3,000 from selfieonastick.com
- Bottom Two: Laila McQueen and Naysha Lopez
- Lip Sync Song: "Applause" by Lady Gaga
- Eliminated: Naysha Lopez
- Farewell Message: "Dear Ladies & Monsters, it was a pleasure meeting you all! Play the cards you are dealt + TURN DA PARTY! The Beauty, Naysha Lopez ♥ P.S. I ♥ U Layla! [sic] xoxo"
|2.||Cynthia Lee Fontaine|
|9.||Bob the Drag Queen|
|11.||Chi Chi DeVayne|
Design Challenge Assignments
|Acid Betty||Make Dat Money (from Season 3, Ep. 13)|
|Bob The Drag Queen||Gone with the Window (from Season 2, Ep. 1)|
|Chi Chi DeVayne||Glitter Ball (from Season 6, Ep. 11)|
|Cynthia Lee Fontaine||Sugar Ball (from Season 5, Ep. 11)|
|Dax ExclamationPoint||Hello, Kitty Girls! (from Season 7, Ep. 11)|
|Derrick Barry||The Queen Who Mopped Xmas (from Season 3, Ep. 2)|
|Kim Chi||RuPaul's Hair Extravaganza (from Season 3, Ep. 11)|
|Laila McQueen||RuPocalypse Now! (from Season 4, Ep. 1)|
|Naomi Smalls||Float Your Boat (from Season 4 Ep. 6)|
|Naysha Lopez||Drag on a Dime (from Season 1, Ep. 1)|
|Robbie Turner||The Fabulous Bitch Ball (from Season 4, Ep. 11)|
|Thorgy Thor||Face, Face, Face of Cakes (from Season 3, Ep. 7)|
Past Winners Photoshoot
Episode 2: "Bitch Perfect"
Airdate: March 14, 2016
Synopsis: Ru divides the remaining queens into two competing teams to perform in a dance-driven, drag-appella sing-off dubbed "Bitch Perfect."
- Guest Judges: Ester Dean, Jamal Sims, and Lucian Piane
- Special Guest: AB Soto
- Mini-Challenge: Compete in a latin dance-off to RuPaul's song "Cha Cha Bitch"
- Mini-Challenge Winner(s): Chi Chi DeVayne and Cynthia Lee Fontaine
- Main Challenge: Perform in a collegiate acapella sing-off: Bitch Perfect
- Main Challenge Winner: Chi Chi DeVayne
- Main Challenge Prize: A 4 night getaway to an all gay bed and breakfast in New England courtesy of mygaygetaway.com
- Runway Theme: Movie Premiere Realness
- Bottom Two: Dax ExclamationPoint and Laila McQueen
- Lip Sync Song: "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor
- Eliminated: Dax ExclamationPoint and Laila McQueen
- Farewell Message — Dax ExclamationPoint: "Ladies, You're all Fantastic! I wish I could be here with you! Set the world on fire + Make Everyone EAT IT -DAX! ☠"
- Farewell Message — Laila McQueen: "You're All the Biggest Pack of freaks and I am so "Happy" to call you "family". But Actually I ♥ you All & can't wait for the future with you! xoxo Laila!"
Bitch Perfect Teams
|Team Lady Bitches||Team Shady Bitches|
|Cynthia Lee Fontaine||Chi Chi DeVayne|
|Bob the Drag Queen||Acid Betty|
|Derrick Barry||Thorgy Thor|
|Laila McQueen||Dax ExclamationPoint|
|Robbie Turner||Naomi Smalls|
Episode 3: "RuCo's Empire"
Airdate: March 21, 2016
Synopsis: After a stunning runway showdown, a dismissed queen gets a second chance in a team-based challenge: acting in a pilot inspired by the TV drama "Empire."
- Guest Judges: Faith Evans and Tasha Smith
- Alternating Judge(s): Carson Kressley
- Mini-Challenge: Drag up supreme court robes
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Naomi Smalls
- Main Challenge: Perform in two Empire-inspired acting scenes
- Main Challenge Winner: Bob the Drag Queen
- Main Challenge Prize: $3,500 of eyewear from Bradley Kenneth
- Runway Theme: Rollergirl Realness
- Bottom Two: Robbie Turner and Cynthia Lee Fontaine
- Lip Sync Song: "Mesmerized (FreeMasons Remix)" by Faith Evans
- Eliminated: Cynthia Lee Fontaine
- Farewell Message: "Don't give up!!! Fight for youre[Sic] dreams!!! Love you mis amores #Cucu ♥"
RuCo Empire Roles
|Character||Team Naomi Smalls||Team Naysha Lopez|
|Vanilla Wafer||Naomi Smalls||Kim Chi|
|Chocolate Chip Cookie||Bob the Drag Queen||Thorgy Thor|
|Shortbread||Chi Chi DeVayne||Naysha Lopez|
|Ginger Snap||Cynthia Lee Fontaine||Derrick Barry|
|Macaroon||Robbie Turner||Acid Betty|
Episode 4: "New Wave Queens"
Airdate: March 28, 2016
Synopsis: The remaining queens take the stage to sing live in a 1980s-style salute to New Wave girl bands. Guest judges include Blondie's Debbie Harry.
- Special Guests: The Vivienne
- Guest Judges: Debbie Harry, Chris Stein, and Lucian Piane
- Main Challenge: Sing live in ‘80s style New Wave girl bands
- Main Challenge Winner: Robbie Turner
- Main Challenge Prize: A wig wardrobe from Weaven Steven
- Runway Theme: Neon Realness
- Bottom Two: Chi Chi DeVayne and Naysha Lopez
- Lip Sync Song: "Call Me" by Blondie
- Eliminated: Naysha Lopez
- Farewell Message: "Dear Ladies, Have a good time and push yourself. I got a 2nd chance, don't blow your first and only! xoxo Da Beauty! Naysha Lopez"
New Wave Queen Groups
|Street Meatz||Dragometry||Les Chicken Wings|
|Bob the Drag Queen||Naysha Lopez||Kim Chi|
|Thorgy Thor||Chi Chi DeVayne||Robbie Turner|
|Acid Betty||Derrick Barry||Naomi Smalls|
Episode 5: "Supermodel Snatch Game"
Airdate: April 4, 2016
Synopsis: Competitive queens take on shades of well-known celebrities in another round of "Snatch Game." Later, they all strike a pose in homage to Madonna.
- Guest Judges: Gigi Hadid and Chanel Iman
- Alternating Judge(s): Carson Kressley
- Main Challenge: Snatch Game
- Main Challenge Winner: Bob The Drag Queen
- Main Challenge Prize: A collection of handbags and wallets from Lux De Ville valued at $7,000
- Runway Theme: Iconic Madonna Looks
- Bottom Two: Acid Betty and Naomi Smalls
- Lip Sync Song: "Causing a Commotion" by Madonna
- Eliminated: Acid Betty
- Farewell Message: "Ladies, You have been touched by fierceness! Now werq it out! - Bob, ♥ you! See jew in new york. - Thorgy you are amazeballz! - AcidBetty 💋"
Episode 6: "Wizards of Drag"
Airdate: April 11, 2016
Synopsis: The queens dish out mini drag makeovers in the style of "The Wizard of Oz." Fashion designer Marc Jacobs and entertainer Todrick Hall guest judge.
- Guest Judges: Todrick Hall and Marc Jacobs
- Special Guest: Marc Snetiker
- Alternating Judge(s): Ross Matthews
- Mini-Challenge: "Reading is Fundamental"
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Bob The Drag Queen
- Main Challenge: The queens give "Wizard of Oz" themed makeovers to cast members of Little Women: L.A.
- Main Challenge Winner: Naomi Smalls
- Main Challenge Prize: $1000 worth of spa services from The Spa On Rodeo (for both Naomi and Jasmine)
- Runway Theme: Wizard of Oz Couture
- Bottom Two: Derrick Barry and Robbie Turner
- Lip Sync Song: "I Love It" by Icona Pop
- Eliminated: Robbie Turner
- Farewell Message: "My dearest trashbags, I'm sorry to leave you all so soon, but know this, the love I have for you is REAL + quite strong, also whoever wins owes me a tea or a steak dinner! Love you all, Robbie"
Make Over Assignments
|Contestant||Little Woman||Drag Name||Character||Who Should Go Home Tonight?|
|Bob The Drag Queen||Elena Gant||Rob the Faux Queen||Glinda the Good Witch||Derrick Barry|
|Chi Chi DeVayne||Tonya Banks||Ti Ti DeVayne||Dorothy Gale||Derrick Barry|
|Derrick Barry||Terra Jole||Terra Barr||Tin Man||Chi Chi DeVayne|
|Kim Chi||Briana Mason||Miso Chi||The Wicked Witch of the West||Chi Chi DeVayne|
|Naomi Smalls||Jasmine Arteaga Sorge||Jazzy Jems||Scarecrow||Derrick Barry|
|Robbie Turner||Christy McGinity Gabel||Hedda Turner||The Cowardly Lion||Chi Chi DeVayne|
|Thorgy Thor||Brittney Guzman||Thorgeous||Emerald Citizen||Chi Chi DeVayne|
Episode 7: "Shady Politics"
Airdate: April 18, 2016
Synopsis: The top six queens campaign hard for the title of First Drag President of the United States. Guest judges include Vivica A. Fox ("Independence Day").
- Guest Judges: Thomas Roberts and Vivica A. Fox
- Special Guest: Andrew Christian
- Alternating Judge(s): Carson Kressley
- Mini-Challenge: Playing a true or false guessing game with the Pit Crew
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Derrick Barry
- Main Challenge: Work in pairs to shoot presidential campaign ads to smear their partner and stake their claim to be the first drag President of the U.S.A.
- Main Challenge Winners: Bob The Drag Queen & Derrick Barry
- Main Challenge Prize: A custom-made gown from Mountbatten Concepts
- Runway Theme: Black & White Realness(inspired by Detox)
- Bottom Two: Chi Chi Devayne and Thorgy Thor
- Lip Sync Song: "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls
- Eliminated: Thorgy Thor
- Farewell Message: "Clowns! All of you!! Come to NY - but please take down Bob! She's terrible! - anyway - ♥ you guys! top 3?....... Naomi, Bob, Deryk [sic]... Let's see.... (that was shady!) ♥ Thorgy"
Episode 8: "RuPaul Book Ball"
Airdate: April 25, 2016
Synopsis: The queens prep paper-thin looks for a "Book Ball" and pay homage to "Strangers with Candy" icon Jerii Blank. Sibs Amy and David Sedaris guest judge.
- Guest Judges: Amy and David Sedaris
- Alternating Judge(s): Ross Matthews
- Mini-Challenge: Everybody Loves Puppets
- Mini-Challenge Winner: Chi Chi DeVayne
- Main Challenge: Ball Challenge
- Runway Themes: Baby Drag Realness, That's My Mama Realness, and Autobiographical Eleganza Extravaganza
- Main Challenge Winner: Kim Chi
- Main Challenge Prize: $2,500 gift card from Fabric Planet
- Bottom Two: Bob The Drag Queen & Derrick Barry
- Lip Sync Song: "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)" by Sylvester
- Eliminated: Derrick Barry
- Farewell Message: "To my top 4, Ru said I won the challenge! What happened? I love you all! ♥ Derrick Bitch"
Episode 9: "The Realness"
Airdate: May 2, 2016
Synopsis: No one's safe as the remaining four queens square off for their final challenge: starring in the music video for Ru's hit single "The Realness."
- Special Guests: Bianca Del Rio & Jayson Whitmore
- Alternating Judge(s): Carson Kressley & Ross Matthews
- Main Challenge: Star in the music video for RuPaul's song "The Realness"
- Lip Sync Song: "The Realness" by RuPaul
- Eliminated: Chi Chi DeVayne
Top Three of Season 8
|Queens||Challenge Wins||Up for Elimination|
(Eps. 3, 5, 7)
(Eps. 1, 8)
Episode 10: "Grand Finale"
Airdate: May 16, 2016
Synopsis: Fabulousness flares when this season's queens reconvene for the crowning of "Miss Congeniality" -- and "America's Next Drag Superstar." The three finalists each perform a lip sync to a song written specially for them- Bob performing "I Don't Like to Show Off," Kim performing "Fat Fem and Asian," and Naomi performing "Legs." After the three performances, RuPaul talks to the eliminated queens, and afterward Katya, season seven Miss Congeniality, announces that Cynthia Lee Fontaine won this season's Miss Congeniality title. The top three return and Bob The Drag Queen is crowned the winner of season 8.
- Miss Congeniality: Cynthia Lee Fontaine
- Top Three: Bob the Drag Queen, Kim Chi, and Naomi Smalls
- Lip sync Songs: "I Don't Like to Show Off" (Bob the Drag Queen); "Fat Fem and Asian" (Kim Chi); “Legs” (Naomi Smalls)
- Winner of Season 8: Bob The Drag Queen
- Runners-Up: Kim Chi and Naomi Smalls
The Pit Stop Recap Show
- Season 8 is the only season in herstory...
- ... to include the Shade Tree, a confessional room in which queens could share their innermost secrets and thoughts.
- Season 8 is the first season...
- ... to have someone do two celebrities in the same Snatch Game. Bob The Drag Queen impersonated both Uzo Aduba and Carol Channing.
- ... to not have a recap episode. None of the following seasons have had one since.
- ... to feature The Pit Stop, a YouTube recap show about each episode, and the only season not to be hosted by a Drag Race alum.
- ... where the winner of the season never placed high without winning the Maxi Challenge. Every episode Bob the Drag Queen received positive critiques, she ended up winning the Maxi Challenge. She is followed by Envy Peru in Drag Race Holland (Season 1).
- ... where no contestant was eliminated on the episode they won a Mini Challenge.
- Season 8 is the second...
- ... American season with 12 contestants, after season 2.
- ... American season to have a double elimination, the first was in Season 5.
- ... American season to have less than three contestants lip sync for their life in two consecutive episodes, after Season 1.
- This later happened in Season 10 and 12.
- Not a single American season has had two contestants lip sync for their life in two consecutive episodes. In Season 1 and 8, only one contestant landed in the bottom 2 in two consecutive episodes. In Season 10 and 12, four contestants landed in the bottom 2 in two consecutive episodes, whereas every other season has had at least three.
- ... where none of the contestants landed in the bottom 2 three times.
- Season 8 has one of the two lowest placing Miss Congeniality, Cynthia Lee Fontaine who placed 10th. The other one is LaLa Ri of Season 13.
- With only 10 episodes, Season 8 is the second shortest American season after Season 1 with 9 episodes.
- The lip sync assassin of Season 8 is Chi Chi DeVayne. Chi Chi sent home Naysha Lopez and Thorgy Thor.
- Part of the fourth episode was filmed on July 27th. This was figured out due to it being Robbie Turner's birthday.
- Chi Chi DeVayne is the first Season 8 contestant to pass away. She is one of only two contestants across all Drag Race franchises to have died; the other being Season 2 contestant Sahara Davenport (who died on October 1, 2012).
- Season 8 is also the last season to feature the Reunion during the Finale. The seasons after have had a completely separate episode for the Reunion.
- On an episode with Sibling Rivalry with Bob and Monet it was discovered that Cynthia Lee Fontaine and Naysha Lopez were the two eliminated queens that also brought Kimonos the "Night of 1000 Madonna's" Runway.
|Winner||Bob The Drag Queen|
|Runners-Up||2nd & 3rd: Kim Chi & Naomi Smalls|
|Other Queens||4th: Chi Chi DeVayne • 5th: Derrick Barry • 6th: Thorgy Thor • 7th: Robbie Turner • 8th: Acid Betty • 9th: Naysha Lopez • 10th: Cynthia Lee Fontaine (Miss Congeniality) • 11th & 12th: Dax ExclamationPoint & Laila McQueen|
|Judges||RuPaul • Michelle Visage • Carson Kressley • Ross Mathews|
|Pit Crew||Jason Carter • Miles Davis Moody • Bryce Eilenberg|
- Preview: RuPaul’s Bob the Drag Queen comes home for Mother’s Day and a Heretic drag show | ARTS ATL — April 28, 2016
- Bob the Drag Queen Conquered the World -- What Have You Done Lately? (Exclusive) | Entertainment Tonight — July 10, 2017
- The Many Faces of the One and Only Kim Chi | W Magazine — May 2, 2016
- How Drag Race star Naomi Smalls found her true passion after the show | Fast Company — September 1, 2020
- RuPaul's Drag Race queen Chi Chi DeVayne dies at 34 | Entertainment Weekly — August 20, 2020
- Derrick Barry From RuPaul’s Drag Race: Everything We Know | The Cinemaholic — August 21, 2020
- “RuPaul’s Drag Race” contestant wants to start an orchestra | The Hub — August 24, 2016
- ‘Yaas, Queen!’ It’s Robbie Turner’s turn on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ | The Seattle Times — March 5, 2016
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Has a Jewish Contestant This Season | Jewcy — April 1, 2016
- 15 minutes of dame | Chicago Tribune — September 4, 2009
- Austin Drag Queen Cynthia Lee Fontaine on RuPaul, Her Famous Catchphrase, and Beating Cancer | Austin Monthly Magazine — April 21, 2017
- No ugly allowed: A look at Savannah’s drag queen scene | Connect Savannah — April 25, 2017
- Loving the Art of Laila McQueen | Queerty — September 27, 2014