|RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under|
The first season of RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under was officially announced on August 26, 2019. On January 18, 2021 the official title of the series was announced by RuPaul through World of Wonder's social media. This also confirmed that the show would be airing on WOW Presents Plus, Stan Australia, and TVNZ. Down Under will also be broadcast on BBC iPlayer in the UK.
The cast was planned to be revealed at Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival on March 6, 2021. However, the cast was revealed hours earlier via World of Wonder.
The season premiered on May 1, 2021 globally at 4pm AEST (12am PST).
The winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under will receive a cash prize of A$30,000 (≈ US$22,434) and one year supply of Revolution Beauty Cosmetics.
The winner of the season was Kita Mean, with Art Simone, Karen From Finance, and Scarlet Adams all finishing as runners-up. Anita Wigl'it was unofficially voted as Miss Congeniality by her fellow castmates.
- 1 About The Show
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
- 7 Navigation
About The Show
(Biographical information stated from during time of contest)
|Rank||Contestant||Photo||Real Name||Age||Current City||Ep. 1||Ep. 2||Ep. 3||Ep. 4||Ep. 5||Ep. 6||Ep. 7||Ep. 8|
|28||Melbourne, VIC, AU||HIGH||ELIM||RTRN
|32||Melbourne, VIC, AU||WIN||LOW||SAFE||BTM2||LOW||HIGH||LOW||RUNNER|
|27||Perth, WA, AU||HIGH||LOW||WIN
|46||Sydney, NSW, AU||SAFE||LOW||LOW||HIGH||BTM2||ELIM
|22||Sydney, NSW, AU||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||LOW||ELIM|
|30||Sydney, NSW, AU||LOW||BTM2||ELIM|
|30||Newcastle, NSW, AU||ELIM|
- █ The contestant won RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under.
- █ The contestant lost the final lip-sync, and is the runner-up.
- █ The contestant won the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant received mainly positive critiques but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant was brought back to the competition and received mainly positive critiques but did not win the maxi challenge.
- █ The contestant received mainly negative critiques but did not place in the bottom two.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two and won the lip-sync for your life.
- █ The contestant placed in the bottom two, lost the lip-sync for your life, and was eliminated.
Queen's Winning Earnings
|Karen From Finance||$3,000|
|Series #||Episode #||Episode Title||Air Date|
|1||1||G'day G'day G'day||May 1, 2021|
|2||2||Snatch Game||May 8, 2021|
|3||3||Queens Down Under||May 15, 2021|
|4||4||Rucycled||May 22, 2021|
|5||5||Marketing Hats||May 29, 2021|
|6||6||Family Resemblance||June 5, 2021|
|7||7||Talent Show Extravaganza||June 12, 2021|
|8||8||Down Under Grand Finale||June 19, 2021|
Episode 1: "G'day G'day G'day"
Airdate: May 1, 2021
Synopsis: We meet the Australian and New Zealand drag queens competing to become down under’s first Drag Race superstar. It’s a hometown homage this week, as the queens showcase their personalities at the ‘get to know you’ ball.
- Special Guest: Taika Waititi
- Mini Challenge: Audition for the new movie: Thar
- Mini Challenge Winner: Elektra Shock
- Mini Challenge Prize: A necklace set from Fierce Drag Jewels
- Maxi Challenge: Present a nude illusion look and a home town look on the main stage.
- Runway Themes: Born Naked and No Place Like Home
- : Karen From Finance
- Maxi Challenge Prize: $3,000 tip from Mary's Poppin' in Adelaide
- Bottom Two: Elektra Shock and Jojo Zaho
- : "Tragedy" by Bee Gees
- Eliminated: Jojo Zaho
- Farewell Message: " ♡ I am so happy to call each & everyone of you mob (sisters). Bring that crown home Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi xoxo Jojo Zaho x now clean this mirror Bitch lol 💋"
|10||Karen From Finance|
|Coco Jumbo||Coffs Harbour|
|Karen From Finance||Melbourne|
Episode 2: "Snatch Game"
Airdate: May 8, 2021
Synopsis: It’s the time we’ve all been waiting for, as the queen’s don their best celebrity get-up to compete in the infamous celebrity impression Olympics. It’s Snatch Game, baby!
- Special Guests: Kylie Minogue and Danni Minogue
- Maxi Challenge: Snatch Game
- Runway Theme: Sea Sickening
- : Anita Wigl'it
- Maxi Challenge Prize: $5,000 tip from Barefoot Wine Australia
- Bottom Two: Art Simone and Coco Jumbo
- : "I'm That Bitch" by RuPaul
- Eliminated: Art Simone
- Farewell Message: "P.S WATCH ! REDЯUM ♡ ART Karen bring home that crown ♡"
Snatch Game Characters
Episode 3: "Queens Down Under"
Airdate: May 15, 2021
Synopsis: The queens are split in two, as they compete in the ultimate girl group sing-off.
- Special Guests: Leland and Troye Sivan
- Mini Challenge: Show their best slow-motion surf rescue
- Mini Challenge Winner: Scarlet Adams and Elektra Shock
- Mini Challenge Prize: A $2,500 gift card from Glitter au Gogo to Scarlet and a $2,500 gift card from Philman's WerqShop to Elektra.
- Maxi Challenge: Record vocals and perform in a girl group number for the original song "Queens Down Under."
- Runway Theme: Bogan Prom Realness
- : Scarlet Adams
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Custom prosthetic piece from BODYFX worth $4,500
- Bottom Two: Coco Jumbo and Elektra Shock
- : "Shake Your Groove Thing" by Peaches & Herb
- Eliminated: Coco Jumbo
- Farewell Message: "I ♡ You My Sisters The Party 💋 STARTS 💋 NOW!!! ♡ Jumbo!! PS WATCH OUT Bitch!"
Girl Group Sing-Off
|Outback Fake-Hoes||Three and a Half Man|
|Anita Wigl'it||Elektra Shock|
|Coco Jumbo||Karen From Finance|
|Etcetera Etcetera||Kita Mean|
|Scarlet Adams||Maxi Shield|
Episode 4: "Rucycled"
Airdate: May 22, 2021
Synopsis: The queens are put through their paces with a sewing challenge that has them showcasing their best thrift flip.
- Guest Judge: Elz Carrad
- Returned: Art Simone
- Maxi Challenge: Use crusty castoffs from an op-shop to create their own runway looks.
- : Scarlet Adams
- Maxi Challenge Prize: $2,500 gift card from Elea's Closet
- Bottom Two: Karen From Finance and Anita Wigl'it
- : "I Begin To Wonder" by Dannii Minogue
- Eliminated: Anita Wigl'it
- Farewell Message: "To my beautiful Queens, You are everything to me! I came in with 3 Kiwi sisters and leave with a whole Australian sister-hood. Never forget my Dry Ass Pussy!! Anita P.S: See you in two weeks in the trash!!"
Episode 5: "Marketing Hats"
Airdate: May 29, 2021
Synopsis: The queens put their marketing hats on, as they are given the challenge to create and market a product, green screen infomercial and all.
- Special Guest: Suzanne Paul
- Guest Judge: Rena Owen
- Mini Challenge: Reading is Fundamental
- Mini Challenge Winner: Art Simone
- Mini Challenge Prize: A state-of-the-art sewing machine from Singer.
- Maxi Challenge: Create and market their own brand of yeast spread.
- Runway Theme: Finest Sheila in the Bush
- : Elektra Shock
- Maxi Challenge Prize: A luxury four-night stay at a Sofitel property of her choice.
- Bottom Two: Maxi Shield and Etcetera Etcetera
- : "Absolutely Everybody" by Vanessa Amorosi
- Eliminated: Etcetera Etcetera
- Farewell Message: "YIPEE YIPEE! TRANS PEOPLE DESERVE MORE! I LOVE YOU BITCHES ♡ ETC THE GLAMOUR BUG xo"
|Queen||Yeast Spread's Name|
|Art Simone||Art's Yeast Yank Extractor|
|Karen From Finance||Discharge|
|Kita Mean||Yeasty Nuts|
|Maxi Shield||Hornbag Yeast Concentrate|
Episode 6: "Family Resemblance"
Airdate: June 5, 2021
Synopsis: Can you see the family resemblance? The queens are challenged to makeover and raise their very own drag family members, out of drag first timers.
- Special Guests: Aunty Donna
- Mini Challenge: Whatcha Packin' Down Under?
- Mini Challenge Winner: Maxi Shield
- Mini Challenge Prize: $2,000 gift card from Amped Accessories
- Maxi Challenge: Transform sportsmen into drag queens.
- Runway Theme: Drag Family Resemblance
- : Kita Mean
- Maxi Challenge Prize: Kita was awarded a $2,500 prize package from House of Priscilla and Feta was awarded a $1,500 gift card from DailyJocks
- Bottom Two: Maxi Shield and Scarlet Adams
- : "Better The Devil You Know" by Kylie Minogue
- Eliminated: Maxi Shield
- Farewell Message: "I HAD TO STAND ON A STOLL TO WRITE THIS! I ❤ you All So much MAXI xx"
|Art Simone||Jonah||Craft Simone|
|Elektra Shock||Fara||Riri Action|
|Karen From Finance||Wolf||Debbie From Reception|
|Kita Mean||Carl||Feta Mean|
|Maxi Shield||Dan||Cilla Wet|
|Scarlet Adams||Brad||Sapphire Adams|
Episode 7: "Talent Show Extravaganza"
Airdate: June 12, 2021
Synopsis: The queens compete in a talent show and attempt to cement their place in the finale of RuPaul’s Drag Race Down Under.
- Special Guests: Raven and The Veronicas
- Maxi Challenge: Compete in a Talent Show
- Runway Theme: How's Your Head, Piece?
- : Scarlet Adams
- Maxi Challenge Prize: A custom line of merchandise and a $5,000 cash tip.
- Bottom Two: Elektra Shock and Kita Mean
- : "Untouched" by The Veronicas
- Eliminated: Elektra Shock
- Farewell Message: "only 1 queen could beat me... and that's the Winner of Rupauls Drag Race Down under ✧ Kia Kaha. THANK YOU Elektra SHOCK ☆"
Top Four of Season 1
|Queen||Up for Elimination|
(Eps. 3, 4, 7)
Episode 8: "Down Under Grand Finale"
Airdate: June 19, 2021
Synopsis: The final queens write their own verses to RuPaul’s “I'm a Winner, Baby” and compete to be crowned winner of the first season of RuPaul’s Drag Race Down Under.
- Special Guest: Olivia Newton-John and Chloe Lattanzi
- Main Challenge: Write, sing, and perform the Down Under version of RuPaul's song "I'm a Winner, Baby".
- Runway Theme: Best Drag
- : "Physical" by Olivia-Newton-John
- Winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under Season 1: Kita Mean
- Runners-Up: Art Simone, Karen From Finance and Scarlet Adams
|Anita Wigl'it||Coco Jumbo||Anita Wigl'it||4|
|Art Simone||Anita Wigl'it|
|Coco Jumbo||Anita Wigl'it|
|Elektra Shock||Karen From Finance|
|Etcetera Etcetera||Maxi Shield||Maxi Shield||2|
|Jojo Zaho||Etcetera Etcetera|
|Karen From Finance||Anita Wigl'it||Coco Jumbo||1|
|Kita Mean||Maxi Shield|
|Maxi Shield||Anita Wigl'it||Etcetera Etcetera||1|
|Scarlet Adams||Karen From Finance||1|
NOTE: Scarlet Adams was not interviewed and did not cast her vote.
- Drag Race Down Under is the first season...
- ... to have Snatch Game as the second competitive episode on a regular season.
- ... to have the lowest Tops to Bottoms ratio, with 1:6 during the Snatch Game.
- ...to feature a queen of...
- ... to have a drag duo win the major titles of the season.
- ... to have four queens compete in the final lip sync for the crown, as opposed to just two or three.
- Drag Race Down Under is the second season...
- ...to feature Indigenous Oceanian queens (Coco and Jojo) after Brita.
- ...to have queens who were previously involved in another Drag competition series, Anita Wigl'it, Kita Mean, and Elektra Shock.
- ...to have the promotional looks be the same as the entrance looks, the first being All Stars 5.
- ... to feature a queen/queens from Down Under after RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 with Courtney Act.
- ... where a queen, Elektra Shock, referred to someone as the winner in their lipstick message and it ended up coming true later in the season.
- ... to have an eliminated queen return, reach the finale and place as one of the runners-up, after Kandy Zyanide and Kana Warrior.
- ... in the Drag Race franchise to have a three-way tie in placements after The Switch Drag Race (Season 2), in which Gia Gunn, Pavel Arámbula and Sofía Camará placed as runners-up (2nd/3rd/4th). In Down Under's case, Art Simone, Karen From Finance, and Scarlet Adams all placed as runners-up (2nd/3rd/4th).
- Drag Race Down Under is the fourth season hosted by RuPaul to have a Runway Challenge in the first episode after Season 9, UK Season 1, and UK Season 2.
- This is also the second season to have RuPaul judge the Challenge out of drag, after Season 9.
- All of these episodes also had two runway categories, with one of them always being "Hometown".
- Drag Race Down Under has the second earliest Snatch Game in all of the Drag Race franchise, tied with All Stars 2.
- Both of their Snatch Game’s were on the second episode of their respective seasons.
- This will also be the largest earliest Snatch Game, as All Stars 2 only had 8 queens doing the Snatch Game.
- Both of their Snatch Game’s were on the second episode of their respective seasons.
- Drag Race Down Under has the earliest instance of two Maxi Challenge winners in the bottom two together, with Karen From Finance and Anita Wigl'it lip-syncing against each other in episode 4.
- According to a deleted tweet made by Art Simone, the lip sync between her and Coco Jumbo was recorded three times. This was subtly confirmed by Maxi Shield.
RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under Season 1
|2nd, 3rd & 4th: Art Simone, Karen From Finance & Scarlet Adams|
|5th: Elektra Shock • 6th: Maxi Shield • 7th: Etcetera Etcetera • 8th: Anita Wigl'it (Miss Congeniality) • 9th: Coco Jumbo • 10th: Jojo Zaho|
|RuPaul • Michelle Visage • Rhys Nicholson|
|Max Currie • Sean Walters|