After winning, Needles released her own "horror" music videos and albums featuring artists such as Amanda Lepore, RuPaul and Jane County. She also started touring around the world, became a spokenperson for PETA, a big icon in terms of alternative style of drag and inspired a day named "Sharon Needles Day" in Pittsburgh on June 12, 2012.
Sharon had a rough childhood growing up in Newton (Iowa, USA) where she dealt with anti-gay views on a daily basis. She eventually relocated to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2004 to pursue her love for drag.
Needles was in a long-term relationship with fellow drag queen, Alaska, during the course of Season 4. Alaska had auditioned for all four seasons of the show and had never made it. Sharon had only auditioned for her season and got selected right away. She felt guilty for this but eventually overcame it.
Though her relationship with Alaska didn't last, she is now engaged to a SFX makeup artist, Chad O'Connell. They have been going strong for years now.
Name Origin"Sharon Needles" is a play on "sharing needles". As a teenager, she would move from city to city and changed her name every time, including Penelope Pumpkin, Pixie Stix, Franky Free-clinic, Randy Retarded and Nixon Cuts. With her brother, she would get stoned and try to come up with the most offensive drag names. It was a toss-up between Crystal Meth and Sharon Needles but, back then, there was no Google, so there wasn't a way of knowing how many other drag queens came up with the same name. Thus, she always says that Sharon Needles is like a governor; there's one in every state, but she's the President.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 4|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||4 (eps. 1, 3, 9, 11)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (ep. 8)|
During the course of Season 4, Sharon endeared herself to both fans and judges with her spooky aesthetic, quick wit, and humble attitude. She dazzled the judges each week with her appearances on the runway, ending up in the Top 3 alongside Phi Phi O'Hara and Chad Michaels. The 3 performed in the music video for RuPaul's song "Glamazon" and on April 30, 2012, Sharon Needles was crowned the 4th "America's Next Drag Superstar" at the "RuPaul's Drag Race" Season 4 "Reunion" special.
- "Season 4 is going to be canceled!"
- "Tired ass showgirl." (to Phi Phi O'Hara)
- "I look spooky, but I'm really nice!... At least for now."
- "3 words to describe Sharon Needles are: beautiful, spooky and stupid."
- "You should have seen what me and Ru were on, at the limelight. It's all behind us now, we're on uppers, downers, and candy corns!" (as Michelle Visage on "Snatch Game")
- "Hello Madame LaQueer! HAHAHAHAHA! I told her not to wear green! I hate it!" (as Michelle Visage on "Snatch Game")
- "Though I may dabble in the black-arts when I hear RuPaul's music, I see the light."
- "Dida Ritz, a lot of you girls like to clock me for painting my skin on the gray side, but I was inspired by your knees... and they're the same color as Willam's chin."
- "Jiggly Caliente, you're such a fat slut, after sex you smoke hams."
- "I LOVE PUSSY!"
- "My hand works great on a snake."
- "I fully support gay divorce."
- "I have 'dignity looks' and 'paycheck looks'. Dignity is when I will not bend, for anyone. I don't care if I make a dollar, I'm doin what I'm doin. Then there's times the electric's about to shut off so I dress up like Lady Gaga."
- "When in doubt, freak 'em out."
- "I like spotlight, not sunlight."
- "There's nothing natural about me."
- "She ordered those tears from China."
- "I’m working with a DILK: A Dad I'd Like to Kill."
- "Well, I enjoy being down on a pole."
- "Latrice is taking me to church with her lip-sync. I mean, my skin started smoking."
- "Being booed off stage is just an applause from ghosts."
- ''Send me to hell, I don't look good in white."
- Sharon Needles has been doing drag since 2004.
- She's vegetarian and loves to drink PBR beer.
- To cause controversy, she has already performed using blackface, as well as a swastika t-shirt, and declared support for Hillary Clinton's candidacy in 2016.
- She served as a host on Logo TV for a month of horror films.
- She performed as Dr. Frankenfurter in Texas for a limited run of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and played in a theater version of The Craft along with Peaches Christ, Alaska and Honey Mahogany.
- Her album, "PG-13", debuted at number 186 on the US "Billboard 200 chart", sold 3,000 copies in its 1st week (larger sales than RuPaul's 2011 album "Glamazon") and climbed up the "iTunes Top 10 Pop Album Chartreaching" number 4, between Josh Groban and Justin Bieber.
- She is the drag mother of Aquaria (Season 10 winner) which makes Sharon and Aquaria the 1st drag mother and daughter duo to win the competition.
- She appeared in Kahanna Montrese's music video for "Scores".
- She is the 1st contestant ever to win 4 challenges in one season. She was later followed by Alaska in "All Stars 2", Shea Couleé in Season 9, Trinity The Tuck in "All Stars 4", and Gigi Goode in Season 12.
- She reached 1 million followers on Instagram on April 17, 2019, becoming the 19th queen in herstory to reach this milestone.
- She is also the first queen who competed on Season 4 that has at least 1 million Instagram followers.
- She is the 1st ever caucasian winner and also the 1st one to win a cash prize of $100,000. For winning her season, she also won a headlining spot on "Logo's Drag Race Tour" featuring Absolut Vodka, a one-of-a-kind trip, a lifetime supply of NYX Cosmetics and the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar".
- She was initially chosen to be a part of All Stars 1 by the fans; However, due to the fact that she was chosen as the Season 4 champion and was extremely busy, she recorded a Facebook message to her fans stating that while she was flattered, she would not take part in the competition. Instead, Pandora Boxx took her place.
- Sharon is the first winner to be a part of a double shantay with their later runner-up (Phi Phi O'Hara), followed by her drag daughter Aquaria in Season 10 and Season 11's Yvie Oddly.
- Sharon is the first person to be the first to win their first, second, third and fourth challenge win (Ep. 1,3,9,11). Recently, being followed and beat by BenDeLaCreme on All-Stars 3.
Season 4 Looks
- "PG-13" (2013)
- (Tracklist: 1. This Club Is A Haunted House ft. RuPaul; 2. Call Me on The Ouija Board; 3. Dead Girls Never Say No; 4. Drink Till I Die; 5. I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore ft. Amanda Lepore; 6. Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?; 7. Disco Ball; 8. Dressed to Kill; 9. Let's All Die; 10. Kai Kai ft. Ana Matronic & Alaska; 11. (Everyday is) Halloween ft. Armen Ra; 12. Hail Satan! ft. Jayne County)
- "Taxidermy" (2015)
- (Tracklist: 1. Dracula; 2. Dead Dandelion; 3. Taxidermy; 4. Hollywoodn't; 5. Supernature; 6. Lucy; 7. Wendigo; 8. Glow In The Dark!; 9. Scream; 10. The Damned; 11. Whammy)
- "Battle Axe" (2018)
- (Tracklist: 1. Battle Axe; 2. Andy Warhol Is Dead; 3. 666; 4. Black Liquorice; 5. Jack-O-Lantern; 6. Brain Dead; 7. Dirty Diaper; 8. Rock n Roll Pt. 3; 9. Electric Chair; 10. Cocaine & Fuck; 11. Piano Wire)
- "RuPaulogize" (2012) by Willam ft. Sharon Needles
- "Supermodel Inc. (Remix)" (2014) by Will Bond ft. Sharon Needles
- "I Don't Give A Fuck" (2018) by Jiggly Caliente ft. Sharon Needles
- Sharon Needles' Site | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Sharon Needles on YouTube | Apple Music | Wikipedia | Spotify
4th: Latrice Royale (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Kenya Michaels • 6th: Dida Ritz • 7th: Willam • 8th: Jiggly Caliente • 9th: Milan • 10th: Madame LaQueer • 11th: The Princess • 12th: Lashauwn Beyond • 13th: Alisa Summers
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales