Yara Sofia is the stage name of Gabriel Burgos Ortíz, a drag performer originally from Puerto Rico, but now living in Las Vegas, Nevada. She is best known for competing in the third season of RuPaul's Drag Race, in which she placed fourth. She later competed on RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, in which she placed 5th/6th alongside her season 3 sister, Alexis Mateo. Her drag daughter is Amalara Sofia.
During the reunion special in Season 3, Yara won the title of Miss Congeniality, as voted for by fans of the show.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 3||All Stars 1|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 13)||2 (Eps. 3, 4)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0||0|
|Times Placed High||6 (Eps. 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12)||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 11)||1 (Ep. 2)|
|Times Placed Low||1 (Ep. 6)||2 (Eps. 1, 3)|
|Times in Bottom:||2 (Eps. 9, 13)||1 (Ep. 4)|
|Episode Eliminated||Episode 13||Episode 4|
Drag Name Origin
The dance academy she used to work for produced a funny beauty pageant, and she was Miss Cuba. She was told to have a tropical Latin name so she was going to be Yara Sofia Carrasquillo. She chose Yara from her high school friend that was also a dancer who had beautiful legs. She used to wear heels before doing drag and everyone told her she had beautiful legs like her friend. Her friend chose her last name for her.
- ”The difference between an onion, and a 14 inch dick, both makes me cry!” (during the Stand-Up Challenge)
- “WHAT THE HELL IS CHICKEN?!” (during the Stand-Up Challenge)
- ”Cha, cha, echa pa’lante!” (during the fitness challenge)
- "I'm gonna let Raven have it." (after replacing Alexis in the Don't Cha lipsync)
- "Because they need someone to go home first." (referring to Mimi Imfurst)
- "How dare they?" (after realising what a snuggie was)
- "It's not kissing for your life." (during her lipsync against Carmen Carrera)
- "Are you joking Ru?" (after being told nobody is going home)
- "I'm always looking for perfection and a complete look, and that's my strength."
- "I'm crying because there's a lot of emotions. I'm thinking too much, I'm so angry and I'm so disappointed. I'm a mess." (after breaking down mid-lipsync)
- Yara made a dress for Kimora Blac which Kimora had planned on wearing for the Season 9 finale.
- Yara Sofia appeared on the Reality Television competition Skin Wars, which is judged by RuPaul, as a model alongside other Drag Race queens during the episode "Miss Skin Wars", and ended up winning the titular pageant thanks to her assigned body painter, Allison.
- She is tied with Miz Cracker and Crystal Methyd for the latest 1st main challenge win out of many contestants, all three winning their 1st challenge in their 10th episode competing on the show.
- She shares a birthday with India Ferrah, Kenya Michaels, and Soju (May 8).
- Along with Carmen Carrera, Yara is the first queen to be part of a double shantay.
- She won the same amount of challenges in two different seasons, winning 1 challenge in both seasons she competed in.
- Yara was the first Ball challenge winner to not go on to win their season; she was followed in the same season by Manila Luzon.
- Yara is the only Miss Congeniality to win a Ball challenge (Episode 11).
- Yara is the only queen to win, and be eliminated on two separate Ball challenges.
- Yara's stand-up routine character from episode 8, Season 3 was based on Kenya Michaels, who placed 5th on Season 4.
Season 3 Looks
All Stars 1 Looks
4th: Yara Sofia (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Carmen Carrera • 6th: Shangela • 7th: Delta Work • 8th: Stacy Layne Matthews • 9th: Mariah • 10th: India Ferrah • 11th Mimi Imfurst • 12th: Phoenix • 13th: Venus D-Lite
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales
Team Shad: Chad Michaels & Shannel • Team Rujubee: Raven & Jujubee • Team Yarlexis (5th): Alexis Mateo & Yara Sofia • Team Latrila (6th): Manila Luzon & Latrice Royale • Team Brown Flowers (7th): Nina Flowers & Tammie Brown • Team Mandora (8th): Pandora Boxx & Mimi Imfurst
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales